Radiator pressure test

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there a "diy" way to pressure check a radiator out of the car at home.. even a half *** pressure check..?

If you get a tub that is deep and wide enough to submerge the radiator, you plug the upper and lower fittings with rubber plugs inside, or caps with hose clamps on the outside. Then make a rubber fitting to go in the cap hole, or fashion something from a cap that you can apply compressed air to. Only put 20psi in the rad

You can find radiator pressure test kits on eBay for a reasonable price

20 PSI may split a seam.
Why not take it to a radiator shop. They have the proper equipment to do it in a couple of minutes. And if it is no good they can do the repair as well.
Sometimes saving a dime will cost you a dollar...

OK. Every Mopar I had used a 16 psi cap.
Should still have a shop test it properly to get a "good" reading. Half *** testing gets Half *** results. Just saying.

20 PSI may split a seam.
Why not take it to a radiator shop. They have the proper equipment to do it in a couple of minutes. And if it is no good they can do the repair as well.
Taking it in tomorrow for flush and check.
I was wanting to check for leaks myself to see if they might try and scam me... When talking on the phone with the shop, the guy pretty much told me it's gonna be trash due to the age and to plan on just saving the top and bottom with a recore.

20 PSI may split a seam.
It's going in tomorrow. $65 for flush and check.

Not a scam with a 50-60 year old core. The cores are made of a much thinner gauge of material and suffer the most from heat and corrosion. Just remember that the radiator is only a part of the complete cooling system and if the cooling system has not seen regular service/maintenance you can also need some or all core plugs, heater/radiator/by-pass hoses, clamps, water pump, thermo-stat, definitely a new radiator cap as well. Proper mix of correct type coolant and distilled water.
No different than going to the Dentist after having not gone for many years. Expect some cavities...

When talking on the phone with the shop, the guy pretty much told me it's gonna be trash due to the age and to plan on just saving the top and bottom with a recore
That may be true, but well maintained it can still be functional 56 years later.

When talking on the phone with the shop, the guy pretty much told me it's gonna be trash due to the age and to plan on just saving the top and bottom with a recore.

That's exactely how has been rebuilt my '71 26" radiator. The core was rotten.
The shop only saved the top/bottom tanks and the mounting frame with a total recore and gloss black paint job.
Efficient but expensive... :rolleyes:

-
Back