Radiator recommendation for my 410 stroker

-

Jax

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hi Guys,

I need to purchase a new radiator for my bracket car project. It is a 410 SB stroker engine. To be installed in a dodge conquest. I have limited space and the radiator should not be bigger than 26" width by 19" tall.

Any recommendations concerning the radiator?

I have a 22" b cool, down flow, 2 core with 1" cores. im having a terrible time with heat but mainly because I have a huge ac rad smack dab in front.
I'm thinking about a dual pass by northern but still checking into it. there must be a reason why dual pass rads are not commonly used.

I cannot say enough good things about Wizard Cooling. Wizard Cooling Performance Aluminum Radiators
I also have a Wizard radiator, 22" with 1.25" cores. Had to run a pusher style electric fan in front of the radiator as would have been too tight otherwise, but also cleans up engine compartment. I run a thermostatic fan switch at 185 on and 165 off with a 160 thermostat and have had zero issues so far. By the way I tried a few Champion radiators but they were twisted and although the Wizard is more expensive it's a superior piece.

I have a 22" b cool, down flow, 2 core with 1" cores. im having a terrible time with heat but mainly because I have a huge ac rad smack dab in front.
I'm thinking about a dual pass by northern but still checking into it. there must be a reason why dual pass rads are not commonly used.
Possibly because most cars are not configured for both hoses out of same side of the rad? Dual passes are not magic and don't solve all problems by any means; heat transfer is heat transfer. Dual pass rads offer more restriction, so there will be less coolant flow, but they cool what they do flow by more degrees. Your car's cooling could be made worse with the lower flow of a dual pass.

Just some random thoughts here: Net overall heat extraction may be less with a dual pass for a regular car application because the coolant is cooler when it enters the 2nd pass and a lower coolant to air temp difference will mean less heat extracted out on the 2nd pass. And if you have hotter air from the AC condensor that will make that issue even worse, as the air to coolant temp difference in the 2nd pass will be even lower. Makes sense for running 240-250 degrees in a race car where the coolant will still be pretty hot when it enters the 2nd pass but not for a regular car app IMHO.

Did not someone say that the B-Cool rads are problematic in his experience in your other thread? Or perhaps that was someone else's thread. I don't know if they are or not, but getting a better regular flow rad would be my solution, rather than going off in an unknown directions with a dual pass and its lower flow rate. Any room for a 26" rad?

I do have room for a 26", I just figured that if I'm changing I would want to get the best. I would hate to go to a 26" and still be having problems and having to go to a dual pass in the end. I talked to a couple rad shops and manufacturers today and they basically said the same as you. I think I'm going with the 3 core champion. I have room for the 4 core but sounds like they can actually be more restrictive air flow wise.

I do have room for a 26", I just figured that if I'm changing I would want to get the best. I would hate to go to a 26" and still be having problems and having to go to a dual pass in the end. I talked to a couple rad shops and manufacturers today and they basically said the same as you. I think I'm going with the 3 core champion. I have room for the 4 core but sounds like they can actually be more restrictive air flow wise.
I recommend talking to Wizard cooling and highly suggest the 2 core with the optional 1.25" core thickness. It cools my 570 hp small block with zero issues and is a 22" as well so no modifying needed.

Be Cool makes some nice 26" wide crossflow radiators for under 300 bucks. Summit has them. My only advice here is don't cheap out.

Be Cool makes some nice 26" wide crossflow radiators for under 300 bucks. Summit has them. My only advice here is don't cheap out.
I would agree with Rusty, Be Cool is another great manufacturer and yes.......don't cheap out, more power more heat.

You are right on the 4 row. I ran some quick numbers, and you will probably get as good or slightly better cooling with a 2 row 26" than a 3 row 22". Each of the 2 rows will get cooler air than the 3rd row of the 3 row rad, the overall airflow rate will be higher with most fan setups, and these factors makes a big difference when the air temps get high and you are working with small difference in ambient air vs. coolant temps. A 26" 3 row will for sure cool more than a 22" 3 row.

And don't just go by the HP ratings.... these are computed for limited cases, like running down the strip for 12-15 seconds and then idling a lot, not constant driving at lower HP levels.

-
Back