Radiator swap Q?

-

slipyoke

Reaction score
So i built a pretty decent 318 in my 76 duster and some where along the way my radiator started leaking. now i"ve heard that you can take an aluminum radiator out of a dakota or some darn thing. Anyway im looking for a decent junkyard swap if anyone knows of anything like that. I still have the old one and im sure it could be repaired but im hoping for aluminum one and maybe a elc fan.

thanks guys

First off Dakota radiators may have an aluminum core but they use plastic tanks and have issues with the tanks sealing to the radiator. Plus Dakota radiators are real wide compared to an A-body radiator. A 26" wide radiator is about the widest you can get in an A-body. I bet a Dak radiator is at least that wide. Here's something to think about. Why don't you buy a universal radiator from Summit or JEGS or FBO. I just installed one in my 68 Cuda (24" wide model) and it was super easy except one part. I had to haul it 4 miles to a welding shop to have brackets welded on it. Cost $20 for that and about 2 hrs. time. All together I have a brand new (not an old junkyard piece that may start leaking at any moment) aluminum radiator, shroud, and flex fan for about $250. Looks great too.

If you do decide to use an electric fan make sure you don't overload your 35 yr. old wiring and start a fire. Electric fans (especially the cheap ones) pull quite a bit of juice.

Should be able to fix you up if they decent. You don't show your location so I can't say what it will cost. My local rad shop says he can set me up with what ever I need for less than $200. I have a 71 C body rad that is for a BB w/trailer towing package. This is the largest rad Mother ever made and is 26" wide. I had one in my 69 Dart when I bought it. But to re bulid it, it will cost $350. If you can find one, you should never have a over-heating problem.

I put the 27x19 griffin in my 73 duster w/o removing the battery box... $179 off summit...or summit brand for $159... saved a lot of hassle and my car runs at 180 all day long w/o a fanshroud.

Ok cool i sort of thought i would be going with a universal anyway. thanks guys

First off Dakota radiators may have an aluminum core but they use plastic tanks and have issues with the tanks sealing to the radiator. Plus Dakota radiators are real wide compared to an A-body radiator. A 26" wide radiator is about the widest you can get in an A-body. I bet a Dak radiator is at least that wide. Here's something to think about. Why don't you buy a universal radiator from Summit or JEGS or FBO. I just installed one in my 68 Cuda (24" wide model) and it was super easy except one part. I had to haul it 4 miles to a welding shop to have brackets welded on it. Cost $20 for that and about 2 hrs. time. All together I have a brand new (not an old junkyard piece that may start leaking at any moment) aluminum radiator, shroud, and flex fan for about $250. Looks great too.

If you do decide to use an electric fan make sure you don't overload your 35 yr. old wiring and start a fire. Electric fans (especially the cheap ones) pull quite a bit of juice.
I agree stay away from the elect fan unless its a back up, I have a radiator out of a 67 barracuda that needs a home for $50 Im in central pa if that helps

i agree stay away from the elect fan unless its a back up, i have a radiator out of a 67 barracuda that needs a home for $50 im in central pa if that helps
you can get 3 or 4 core on ebay that bolt right in with or without schroud for 200 or less.

-
Back