Radiator that will fit my 64 barracuda for a 340 upgrade

-

guido

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am swapping my 273 for a 340 into my 1964-1/2 barracuda automatic push button. Looking for recommendations on what radiator will fit. I am concerned about the radiator cap hitting my hood. Champion said their CC1635 will bolt right in, but I am afraid it will be too tall and the radiator cap will hit the hood. [I have aftermarket AC setup with an electric fan in front of the radiator.] What radiator is everyone else using?

We are using the Champion MC64DT. It cools a big block just fine and clears the hood. We have a glass hood but it’s a copy of the original with latch and safety hook.

IMG_0568.jpeg

FB_IMG_1683130454333.jpeg

2 questions-
Which water pump are you using? The '69 and earlier cast iron pump with the driver's side inlet, or the '70 and later aluminum pump with the passenger side inlet? They take different radiators, obviously.
Do you want an aluminum radiator, or something a little more OE looking?

Use the 273 radiator.

Then if it does not work out upgrade.

For me Copper brass is the way to go

Sweet car!!! Thanks for the radiator P/N. looking it up now. I do need the top outlet on the driver side of the cap to clear my aftermarket AC. The CC1635 Champion recommended appears to be too tall. I just measured my 65 see pic. The 64-1/2 is at my friends shop hopefully the 64 dimensions are the same as my 65. I'll get over there to measure it once my wife gets back from the salon

1965_plymouth_barracuda -1.jpg

OK I measured the 1964-1/2.
The Champion MC64DT radiator dimensions appear to be correct for my 1964-1/2 white/gold 340 mild cam 3.91 gears push button auto barracuda except the top inlet would have to be moved to the driver's side because of my aftermarket AC. Ledfoot racing will sell me the radiator and move the top inlet for an $80.00 fee. 3 week lead time. Once modified No Returns.
OK here is my last radiator question...
2 row, 3 row, or 4 row?
If I read online on aluminum radiators...
some articles say 2 row 1 x 2 = 2.00" cooling area, vs. 3 row .62 x 3 = 1.86" cooling area, with the same row spacing and cooling fins.
some articles say 3 row are better, in the above case 2 row seems better.
But if the row spacing is closer and there's more cooling fins in between the rows, now its messy since row spacing fin design is not usually listed.
The MC64DT also has a 4 row option .62 x 4 = 2.48" cooling area
Pricing$
64CT: 2 row $270 + $80= $350
64CT: 3 row $275 + $80= $355
64CT: 4 row $350 + $80= $430 up to 650hp. [I doubt mine will be much more than 350Hp]

OK chime in guys... Angelo aka Guido

OK I measured the 1964-1/2.
The Champion MC64DT radiator dimensions appear to be correct for my 1964-1/2 white/gold 340 mild cam 3.91 gears push button auto barracuda except the top inlet would have to be moved to the driver's side because of my aftermarket AC. Ledfoot racing will sell me the radiator and move the top inlet for an $80.00 fee. 3 week lead time. Once modified No Returns.
OK here is my last radiator question...
2 row, 3 row, or 4 row?
If I read online on aluminum radiators...
some articles say 2 row 1 x 2 = 2.00" cooling area, vs. 3 row .62 x 3 = 1.86" cooling area, with the same row spacing and cooling fins.
some articles say 3 row are better, in the above case 2 row seems better.
But if the row spacing is closer and there's more cooling fins in between the rows, now its messy since row spacing fin design is not usually listed.
The MC64DT also has a 4 row option .62 x 4 = 2.48" cooling area
Pricing$
64CT: 2 row $270 + $80= $350
64CT: 3 row $275 + $80= $355
64CT: 4 row $350 + $80= $430 up to 650hp. [I doubt mine will be much more than 350Hp]

OK chime in guys... Angelo aka Guido
I have a three aluminum one in my 64 modified 318. Runs fine. Car is looking good there angelo

I also have a champion radiator 2 row in my 64 cuda with a modified 318 with a pusher fan took the mechanical fan off didn't like the idea of getting my fingers caught in the fan no over heat problems at all

I am leaning towards the 3 row. The 4 row feels like overkill for my 340.
I have a stock mechanical fan now, and a pusher electric fan that kicks on when the AC is on. I'll start with that.
If it over heats, I'll replace the mechanical fan with the Derale shroud and fan, with their variable speed fan controller.
I put that setup in my 1965 273 and it worked fine until a loose connection board defect popped up in the controller.
[It's being replaced under warranty as we speak.]
Thanks for the comments guys.

2 questions-
Which water pump are you using? The '69 and earlier cast iron pump with the driver's side inlet, or the '70 and later aluminum pump with the passenger side inlet? They take different radiators, obviously.
Do you want an aluminum radiator, or something a little more OE looking?
The bottom hose is on the driver side, the top hose is on the driver side of cap to clear my AC. I believe the water pump is the 69 style. I changed it to match up with the radiator that was in the car. Now I know the current radiator is for a mustang and was mickey moused and too small. So I'll now have to modify the top inlet of the MC64DT to fit my setup. unless there is a different radiator available

I’m going to point this out before you order anything. The 1964 V8 cars used the same size 19” radiators as the slant 6 cars, and as such the radiator support only had a 19” opening. You will either be cutting the opening in your radiator support larger, or replacing the radiator support with a 65 or 66 car, which all had the 22” opening. Message if you need a 22” radiator support, and if you’re near Ann Arbor Mi., you can come pick it up. I’ll ship it too if you like.

The fins per inch and the tube ID are two of the most important aspects of a radiator.

ALL heat transfer happens at the junction of the fins to the tube (sure you get a little from the surface of the tube, but nothing like the fin to tube contact patch)
More fins = more contact + more surface area for heat to be transfered to the air.

Usradiator.com has a great video describing radiator tech.

Lastly... Search FABO for "overheating"

Note the first few lines in most of the posts...

Aluminum radiator, electric fans!

I'm just saying!

-
Back