radiator

-

mrichard

Reaction score
All - any thoughts on the best quality yet value on a replacement radiator? Looking for as stock as possible but perhaps some upgrades.

Beyond that, my engine is now running hot when I stop in traffic. That had not been happening. Admittedly it is now in the 90's around here, but I'm curious as to thoughts on this.

I have wanted to redo the cooling system anyway, so any ideas are welcome. Posted this on SlantSix.org too, so apologies if you are reading twice.

Thanks,
Mark

I guess I could. Just seems like a new one is relatively inexpensive, time is money, blah blah blah. I want to have confidence in my cooling system this summer, and it seems like for around $250 at Parts Geek I can replace it all.

One other question. I'm presuming I can use this radiator:

Radiator
Proliance Intl/Ready-Aire Radiator - w/ Heavy Duty Cooling; w/ Air Conditioning

Even though I don't have A/C?

BE cool aluminum. Fit was perfect and cooling is unserpassed.

I've seen good sucess from a friend of mine who uses a BMW aluminum radiator he got at a junkyard. Cools his stroker 360 no problem. Should have no problem cooling a SL6. Looks nice too and it's light!

You can find one for less than the $250 you mentioned as well... Just got to get a little dirty. :D

this may be a little off topic, but how much does it cost to re-core a /6 rad?

I've had 4 early A Body 22 in V8 radiators recored to a 3 core. On one of them, I had the upper and lower hose nipples positioned to fit a slant. Cost was right at $300 each (spread out over a period of time of course :-D

I've had 4 early A Body 22 in V8 radiators recored to a 3 core. On one of them, I had the upper and lower hose nipples positioned to fit a slant. Cost was right at $300 each (spread out over a period of time of course :-D

how did u have them move the hose nipples??

I went with a triple core crossflow aluminum radiator from Speedway Motors. Under $200, beautiful workmanship (nice welds!), cools great. Highly recommended for the money. The only mods needed were two 1" spacers from the lower support.

how did u have them move the hose nipples??

I'm guessing that the guy used an appropriate size hole saw and soldered the nipples in place where I specified, He also soldered small round patches where the original nipples were located.

-
Back