Radio antenna question

-

fireguyfire

Reaction score
I recently bought a 67 formula S barracuda fastback off of the original owner, and he has the original bill of sale, dealership paperwork, brochures etc which is great.
The radio antenna on this car is on the top of the rear passenger side quarter panel.
This is an unrestored car, and clearly has never had an antenna on the front fender. I asked the original owner about it and he is 100% certain that the antenna was exactly where it is now the day he bought it at the dealership.
This car also had the original AM radio and has never been monkeyed with.

Did antennas ever come in this location when new?

IMG_3878.jpeg

Interesting that it never had one on the front fender, as I’ve looked at it from the underside to be sure.
I’m guessing the dealership installed it then

Can't say they didn't do something different for the Formula S but the 67 sales brochure shows on the front fender

Screenshot_20231209-223717.png

Screenshot_20231209-224028.png

Screenshot_20231209-224550.png

Last edited:
AND NOW yet ANOTHER annoying story from the old days

My first car, in 66 was a 57 Bel Air moredoor. It was not that nice, had evidently had a rough life. One thing it DID have, which WORKED, was an ANGLED (fancy) ELECTRIC antenna on the right rear. It ALSO had a (whatever it's called) wonderbar radio, automatic tuning.

I was PROUD of that ANTENNA!!!

One day a friend and I went down to what was called the "Topper" drive in in Coeur d Alene, which was a fixture in town for many years. After awhile, they moved it to another location and it was in THAT location for many years.

Anyhow, they had car hops, and out back of the building was a big long carport structure you could pull in under. Unknown to me, the antenna had just barely clipped under the trim of the overhang roof.

When we left, the antenna buckled and snapped in half. I was SAD!!!

On a side note, other radios I had in those years before the Navy, was a radio using 12V for the anode voltage of the (special) tubes. These were an oddball design, only used for a few years. They negated the need for a vibrator or transistor inverter to generate B+ "plate" voltage for the tubes, but they required (a then new) transistor audio output stage.

For a short while, I had a transistor inverter I'd built that plugged in in place of a vibrator. And, I also had a radio out of a Corvair which was all transistor.

I never did find the parts to repair that power antenna

This is an unrestored car, and clearly has never had an antenna on the front fender. I asked the original owner about it and he is 100% certain that the antenna was exactly where it is now the day he bought it at the dealership.
This car also had the original AM radio and has never been monkeyed with.
Does the passenger side front fender have an antenna hole and or a delete plug? If not someone has patched up the hole I think all the fenders came with the antenna hole in them unless maybe it was radio delete when ordered.

Hold on I did a little digging it may just be a factory rear mounted antenna
read up on this and see if it’s plausible. Scroll down to the paragraph on antennas.

Last edited:
Definitely original front fender, and it does not have a fender antenna hole like every other mopar that I’ve owned over the years.

Thanks for that link cudascott; mine is indeed a Canadian car so that holds up with what the guy wrote in the link.
Here’s the original bill of sale; it was sold out of Swift Current Saskatchewan; no mention of the antenna on the detailed bill of sale.

Barracuda original bill of sale.png

You can put an antennae on the front fender also and run dual antennas for better reception...

Maybe the two antennas can get married...

Did you hear about the two antennas that got married???

The ceremony was boring, but the reception was great!!! :)

If there is no radio code on fendertag, then I would assume dealer installed. If dealer installed, then it's on them as to where they installed it. Is that dealer air? May explain why antenna on rear 1/4. Once you get under dash you will realize how crammed it is.

Does the passenger side front fender have an antenna hole and or a delete plug? If not someone has patched up the hole I think all the fenders came with the antenna hole in them unless maybe it was radio delete when ordered
In the dart FSM there is a template to make to cut the antenna hole so I'm guessing the on a radio delete car it would have gotten a fender with no hole.

In 67 the Barracuda didn't use the antenna delete plug, holes were punched after the fact.

Alan

That car had no factory radio/antenna, hence no hole in the fender. This was installed by the dealer.

-
Back