radio bypass

-

perko

Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on this one.
I'm trying to put a modern radio in my 73 duster. Its become a huge pain because I can't get the old radio out with the A/C in the way so I can't see the wires. I was thinking about just completely bypassing everything and putting the new radio somewhere else. Problem is I can't seem to get to any of the wires currently hooked up. I took out the ash tray and have some access. Mostly I'd like to re-use the antenna wire, but it'd be a lot easier to re-use all the wires. Any ideas? Its the AM/FM and cassette radio but nothing on it really works. Thanks!

Might help to pull the glove box. There is only the antenna, the speaker, and the power plug, which is two wires into one connector.

Did you pull the front A/C "stuff" off that fastens under the dash? That should help

So I got the AC vents off and was able to get enough access to unplug everything. Still no way to get the radio out, but whatever. My question is WTF is up with these wires? Can't seem to find a wiring diagram for them. They plugged into the back of the old stereo.

IMG_0075.jpg

Are you saying that what is in the photos is what is now in the car? Then I ain't no help. That is aftermarket "stuff."

The previous picture was the stereo that I removed. Nothing would work unless I jammed the brake retainer from a hydraulic mountain bike in between specific buttons. Definitely the ugliest install I've ever done, but it works for now. Thanks!

In case it helps anyone in the future, I just matched the old wiring diagram to the new one. The only differences were the original stereo had front and rear speakers (right and left respectively) sharing negative cables in the harness, and there were two ground cables, one from the unit itself, and one from the battery. I spliced them together and it seems to work.

IMG_0078.JPG

-
Back