Radio Conversion feedback

-

GDart

Reaction score
I have a 1969 Dodge AM thumbwheel radio. I want it converted to AM/FM with Bluetooth and USB. I've narrowed my choices for conversion to:
Ricksradioconversion (called and emailed with no response)
Classiccarstereo (looks like a replica)
Classicradiorestoration
Vintagecarradio

Question is: Do any of you have experience with these vendors? Were you satisfied with the results? What are your recommendations?

Thanks

I recently bought an under dash fm converter.

The car antenna plugs into it, it plugs into the radio antenna port, tie it to a power.

You tune the radio to a particular station on AM. And walla, fm.

40 to 100 bucks on e bay

I have an FM converter too but I was considering getting a RediRad RediRad RR-AM/N Antenna Bypass AM modulator Aux Input Classic Car Radio Negative Ground since you can plug your phone, mp3 player, CD player or cassette player into it. My phone has an FM app so you can get FM that way. Unfortunately they've been sold out for awhile. This of course is only an option if your AM radio is good and you don't care about having stereo.

Redi Rad is the low cost solution for connecting the phone or tablet to the existing car radio. They work well and everyone I know that has one is satisfied.

The downside is sound quality. A radio conversation is basically a modern Kenwood radio adapted to the old hardware controls. They sound good and depending on the conversation workmanship they work good, too

I have an FM converter too but I was considering getting a RediRad RediRad RR-AM/N Antenna Bypass AM modulator Aux Input Classic Car Radio Negative Ground since you can plug your phone, mp3 player, CD player or cassette player into it
I played around making my own from eBay componants.

It worked and I added a Bluetooth input device so it was wireless to my phone.

But the cobbled together ebay componants we're sketchy at best.

I haven't followed up yet but my ultimate goal was to make a stand alone box battery or cig lighter powered and completely wireless to allow Bluetooth input and am radio output.

As mentioned above it requires the AM radio to function and mine recently degraded so I just listen to my phone with headphones, now.

S&M Electro Tech. Blaine, Minnesota
I have had both my '69 and '72 done by them. They can pre-wire the whole set up for you. You do get to cut the pre-wired ends to length. Good instructions and wire ends are provided. Even make a 2 speaker front to replace the front single.
Get your rears from him too.

-
Back