Radio Help

-

WildOnce340

Reaction score
Is there any reason I should pay approximately $900.00 for an AM/FM thumb wheel radio for my 1969 dart from Classic Car Stereo, when I can buy, what appears to be the same thing from Redondo for $395.00? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jim

I think I got one from resto radio a few years ago about $500.00 with everything on it.

The thumbwheel radio in my 1969 Dart was cool. Not so, the knob ones in my 1964 and 1965 today and didn't care for AM-only. One radio actually worked somewhat. Instead, I installed an Android Head Unit 7" screen in both. It sits in front of the dash, but thin so only projects 1.5". I just mounted the brackets thru the radio knob holes so no cutting of the dash. Can load many Android apps, but the cheapie $85 Chinese one I got appears too wimpy to run Android Auto. You can use phone-mirror though to display phone apps on the screen (via USB cable) and has its own GPS for navigation. I also got the backup camera ($20), which is very useful. It switches to the camera when you shift to reverse (tap backup lamp wire).

The thumbwheel radio in my 1969 Dart was cool. Not so, the knob ones in my 1964 and 1965 today and didn't care for AM-only. One radio actually worked somewhat. Instead, I installed an Android Head Unit 7" screen in both. It sits in front of the dash, but thin so only projects 1.5". I just mounted the brackets thru the radio knob holes so no cutting of the dash. Can load many Android apps, but the cheapie $85 Chinese one I got appears too wimpy to run Android Auto. You can use phone-mirror though to display phone apps on the screen (via USB cable) and has its own GPS for navigation. I also got the backup camera ($20), which is very useful. It switches to the camera when you shift to reverse (tap backup lamp wire).
Got pics?

Photos requested.
1964 Valiant red interior. Dash was hacked by a P.O. to fit a non-OEM radio (2nd photo). I need to route the GPS cable behind the dash and mount the USB connectors on the bracket. 1965 Dart is black interior

dash w Android radio.jpg

radio hack job.jpg

dash w radio.jpg

Bill, does this radio have the chassis behind it? can you give me a model number on what you purchased?

Nothing protrudes into the dash hole. Don't recall the name, but a generic Chinese "Android Head Unit" sold under many names on ebay and Amazon around $80. Add $20 for a backup camera w/ wiring. Some $300 ones from a name brand come w/ Android Auto, which is a must-have for many buyers in new cars (and/or Apple CarPlay). Tesla owners fuss that their cars don't have it. Problem is the more powerful boxes aren't as thin.

If you have an OBDII engine swap (1996+, say Magnum V-8 or Hemi), you can run TorqLite on the Android to read an ELM 327 OBD and display engine parameters like rpm (if no tach) and codes. I do that in my 1996 Plymouth minivan.

Link doesn't work. Might be the one below ($170). Good that it comes loaded with Android Auto and CarPlay and appears both work via wireless (some units require a wired connection to your phone). I like the integrated USB ports since I had to secure mine. The volume knob is also nice since my daughter leaves it on max after using Bluetooth and I must fumble on the screen to turn down the blasting radio while driving. Probably more CPU and RAM than mine. Android OS 10, whereas OS 11 is the latest, so check if that matters. A quick search found an $85 one on ebay with Android Auto, but wired-only. It has wireless Car Play for iphone. Like flatscreen TV's, cheaper and better every year.

Amazon product ASIN B0B3X3C7RD

Link doesn't work. Might be the one below ($170). Good that it comes loaded with Android Auto and CarPlay and appears both work via wireless (some units require a wired connection to your phone). I like the integrated USB ports since I had to secure mine. The volume knob is also nice since my daughter leaves it on max after using Bluetooth and I must fumble on the screen to turn down the blasting radio while driving. Probably more CPU and RAM than mine. Android OS 10, whereas OS 11 is the latest, so check if that matters. A quick search found an $85 one on ebay with Android Auto, but wired-only. It has wireless Car Play for iphone. Like flatscreen TV's, cheaper and better every year.

I find the backup camera very nice. You can run a cam-app to record accidents or for security, but only on additional cameras. It can't use the backup camera for recording since that is only analog-switched to the screen when in "R" (tap backup lamp wire), regardless of whether Android has booted or not.

Amazon product ASIN B0B3X3C7RD

-
Back