Radio install help 66cuda

-

joe2018

Reaction score
I have a retrosound radio I'm looking to install It fits great (didn't have a radio in it) but I don't know how to do the electrial. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
I just can't figure out the way to get it working..i'm losing my hair on this:violent1:

Radio install is pretty simple one ignition on wire one memory constant power I'd have to see it to tell you which one is which just breath and look at it they should be labeled on the stereo

I appricate the help but the electrical stuff is not my stong point. Need to dummy it down a little, lol. So I need to run a direct line from the battery to the constant power cable for the wire harness?

ok, I'll give this a try tonight. It's just a pain I'm sure most of you run into the same thing but Most of these wires are all cut and all over the place. Just a pain...

You may have all the wiring you need under there from the old radio. There is a red hot lead from the harness that is hot when the key is on. Your ground can go to a screw fastened to the bottom of the dash. The speakers are blue and green on most aftermarket radios. For the constant hot for the memory you can crimp a spade end on your memory wire and unscrew the fuse box and look on the backside of it. There are a couple spade terminals on the back, one of which should be hot all the time. Just slip your spade end over the terminal and refasten the fuse box. Or you can slide it over one of the fuse blades on the front, you might bump it on occasion though and knock it off!!

Good luck with the project, Geof

You may have all the wiring you need under there from the old radio. There is a red hot lead from the harness that is hot when the key is on. Your ground can go to a screw fastened to the bottom of the dash. The speakers are blue and green on most aftermarket radios. For the constant hot for the memory you can crimp a spade end on your memory wire and unscrew the fuse box and look on the backside of it. There are a couple spade terminals on the back, one of which should be hot all the time. Just slip your spade end over the terminal and refasten the fuse box. Or you can slide it over one of the fuse blades on the front, you might bump it on occasion though and knock it off!!

Good luck with the project, Geof

This, "except."...................

1--Make SURE you have it fused, use an inline fuse if none is supplied

2--You didn't elaborate on the system---is this a one --piece radio, or does this have a separate (trunk) amp? How much audio output is it rated for? If it's much over 10W per channel (just picking a figure out of the air) you need heavier wire than you can tap into in the fuse box. In that case, you'll want to "get into" heavier points under the hood, like, say, the starter relay battery stud, and a "great big" fuse

3--You need to decide if you want to run the main radio power "constant" so you can have it on with the key off or out--or whether you only want the radio on switched accessory. There are two busses in the fuse panel. One is "constant" hot, the other is switched through the ACC of the ignition switch

This, "except."...................

1--Make SURE you have it fused, use an inline fuse if none is supplied

2--You didn't elaborate on the system---is this a one --piece radio, or does this have a separate (trunk) amp? How much audio output is it rated for? If it's much over 10W per channel (just picking a figure out of the air) you need heavier wire than you can tap into in the fuse box. In that case, you'll want to "get into" heavier points under the hood, like, say, the starter relay battery stud, and a "great big" fuse

3--You need to decide if you want to run the main radio power "constant" so you can have it on with the key off or out--or whether you only want the radio on switched accessory. There are two busses in the fuse panel. One is "constant" hot, the other is switched through the ACC of the ignition switch

It's just a basic install for now I'm only using the single dash speaker. Down the road I was going to install 2 6x9's in the rear. No amp's. The radio does have a fuse on it, the retrosound radios are quite nice! Just need to get it powered up :banghead:

A good constant hot fused source of power that is even close to where you are working is the cigar lighter wiring. That should supply power for your radio memory very nicely.

What part of illinois are you in? I'm in decatur.

A good constant hot fused source of power that is even close to where you are working is the cigar lighter wiring. That should supply power for your radio memory very nicely.

What part of illinois are you in? I'm in decatur.

Thats what I thought to but they are dead wires.
I'm out by joliet!

Good grief If all you are installing is a plain old "radio" just use the radio connector

Should be a connector up under the dash, either "L" or "T" shaped with one orange wire and one other (red?) wire. If you cannot find them, get into the fuse box.

The diagrams at MyMopar shows the radio fuse is at one end of the fuse panel. Your instrument (lamp) fuse at the other end

-
Back