Radio install help..

-

cluecas

Reaction score
I'm installing a new radio in a '66 Valiant. The one that's in there isn't working and I've verified that all fuses are still good. I have the wiring schematics and see that there's two wires (red and orange). Which is a constant power and which goes to the ignition switch? How is the ground handled in this car?

No constant power from the factory - that's a new radio affliction. Red is switched power, and orange is the switched illumination - is energized with the dash lights. Ground is through the radio chassis from the factory.

Ground is the dash metal. IIRC red is power and orange is dash lighting. The green is speaker out and it used the dash ground as the speaker ground. I uploaded the circuitrace diagram to earlycuda.org here and they host it. fun fact: The Dodge tuner light came on when you turned the radio on, the Plymouth model was always lit by dash lights per the guy who rebuilt mine. Dont know how they are different inside
1965 CircuiTrace Bendix Radio

Ground is the dash metal. IIRC red is power and orange is dash lighting. The green is speaker out and it used the dash ground as the speaker ground. I uploaded the circuitrace diagram to earlycuda.org here and they host it. fun fact: The Dodge tuner light came on when you turned the radio on, the Plymouth model was always lit by dash lights per the guy who rebuilt mine. Dont know how they are different inside
1965 CircuiTrace Bendix Radio
I think this helps a lot. Thank you. I'm hoping the last radio was just dead and there isn't more wiring issues.

If your radio is dead and you want to get it fixed, there are many folks who can leave it looking stock on the outside but fully rebuilt on the inside with modern circuitry. This lets you have a stock looking radio that can include FM and bluetooth without sawing a hole in your dash for a DIN radio.

If your radio is dead and you want to get it fixed, there are many folks who can leave it looking stock on the outside but fully rebuilt on the inside with modern circuitry. This lets you have a stock looking radio that can include FM and bluetooth without sawing a hole in your dash for a DIN radio.
That's a great idea, but it isn't the factory radio. I'm guessing it was replaced back in the 80s.

-
Back