radio interchange question

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at a modern radio to fit in my 1970 Dart dash with no alteration of the face plate. I have been considering one from Vintage Radios - KHE-300-USB 1970 Mopar. I called today to order one and the guy told me that it would not fit a 1970 Dart - That it would fit a 1970 B-body and a 68-69 A body, but not 1970. These are all knob radios we are talking about, not thumbwheel. I would swear that the 68-72 A-body radios would interchange - am I wrong?

I have been looking at a modern radio to fit in my 1970 Dart dash with no alteration of the face plate. I have been considering one from Vintage Radios - KHE-300-USB 1970 Mopar. I called today to order one and the guy told me that it would not fit a 1970 Dart - That it would fit a 1970 B-body and a 68-69 A body, but not 1970. These are all knob radios we are talking about, not thumbwheel. I would swear that the 68-72 A-body radios would interchange - am I wrong?

Here you go..

Order by 2 PM PST for Next Business Day Shipping
Order by 12/14/2020 for Holiday Shipping
|
Cart
logo.png

Home ›1969-70 Dodge Dart Redondo RS Radio
1969-70 Dodge Dart Redondo RS Radio
RS-Chrome-Chrysler-32-82_ee7615da-717b-42c9-b41e-65308643873c_x350.jpg

apple_aefc4df2-57c8-44f1-82a0-42a6b8a8fe73.jpg
bluetooth.jpg
sirius-ready-logo-blue-2C.jpg
moparlogo.jpg

*Vintage Dial Screen shown is sold separately.

CHOOSE A PUSHBUTTON COLOR

CHOOSE A KNOB

Part Number: RED-M4-RS-C-280-281-32-82

CHECK THE BOX TO ADD TO YOUR ORDER
Total added in cart.
scp37-dodge_compact.jpg
More Info

Dodge Logo Vintage Dial Screens for Redondo SCP37
$ 24.99

SXV300_REBATE_compact.jpg
More Info

SXV300 SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner- FREE After Rebate!
$ 59.99
$ 69.99

$ 419.99
This listing is for the shafted version of Redondo, only. If your vehicle came with thumb-rollers, you will need Redondo RT.
The RetroSound® Redondo is a modern radio with the classic look for your 1969-70 Dodge Dart. Redondo features separate radio display and push-button assemblies that are independently adjustable thanks to RetroSound's patented InfiniMount system. This is the most technologically advanced radio ever produced for your vintage 1969-70 Dodge Dart. This radio listing features period-correct metal knobs and our chrome faceplate with a matte grey center finish. Redondo looks like the original factory radio but includes all the features of a modern car stereo.

The Redondo Hermosa comes standard with a powerful built-in 25 watts RMS x 4 channel amplifier, and RCA pre-outs are provided for adding external amplifiers. It features built-in Bluetooth® for hands-free calling and wireless audio streaming — and Bluetooth® Music Browsing. Redondo has a 32,000 color display allowing it to be customized to match your vehicle’s interior. A single rear-mounted USB port for flash drives and two standard auxiliary inputs provide plenty of flexibility and allows playback of WMA, MP3 or FLAC files.

• Built-in Bluetooth® connectivity
  • 32,000 color display
  • Authentic push-button styling
  • AM/FM tuner with 30 pre-sets
  • A rear-mounted USB port for flash drives
  • Two auxiliary inputs for portable devices
  • 25 watts x 4 channel RMS power amplifier
  • Dual RCA pre-outs for external amplifiers
  • Works seamlessly with any of our external amplifiers
  • Period-correct metal knobs, front and rear
The Redondo is now available with your choice of feature sets. The features listed above are available as the Hermosa feature set, or upgrade to the Long Beach feature set for all the above, plus:

• Made for iPod®/iPhone® (Compatibility with devices through streaming and USB)
  • An additional USB port
  • AM/FM RDS tuner with 30 pre-sets
  • Dedicated subwoofer output
The upgraded Redondo with the Long Beach feature set is SiriusXM-Ready™ and connects to the SiriusXM™ SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner (sold separately, subscription required). The SXV300 plugs directly into the Redondo without the need for special adapters or cables.

Customers purchasing the SXV300 SiriusXM® tuner are eligible for a $70.00 rebate and will receive a three-month subscription to SiriusXM®’s All Access Package upon activation.* The SiriusXM® “All Access” package includes Howard Stern, every NFL, MLB®, and NBA game, every NASCAR® race, plus NHL® games and PGA TOUR® coverage, as well as access outside the vehicle to SiriusXM® on smartphones and other connected devices and online at siriusxm.com. *

• SiriusXM-Ready™ (SXV300 tuner required)
  • $70.00 rebate on purchase of SXV300 SirusXM® tuner*
  • 3 months free SiriusXM® “All Access” subscription upon activation*
  • Made for iPod®/iPhone® compatibility
  • AM/FM RDS tuner with selectable international frequencies
  • Built-in Bluetooth® for hands-free phone operation
  • Wireless audio streaming from iPhone® or Android®-based phone
  • New push button styling in your choice of black or chrome, and shaft controls for an authentic Dodge look
  • 32,000 color illumination
  • 25 watts x 4 RMS / 45 watts x 4 peak power output
  • Two USB inputs for iPod®/iPhone or flash drive WMA or MP3 files
  • Two auxiliary inputs for portable devices
  • Two sets of RCA pre-amp outputs plus dedicated subwoofer output
  • 3 EQ presets / loudness control
  • Selectable 12/24 hour clock
  • Works seamlessly with any of our external amplifiers*
*If you need more power for your application, check out our Quadraphonic 4-channel amplifier.

*SiriusXM promotion is valid for US residents only.

WzCmfN7J?v=190.0.2&h=retromanufacturing.png

bluetooth_1.jpg
apple.jpg
moparlogo.jpg

So I know that rallye dash cars had thumbwheels in 68-9, but many standard dash cars had knobs, right? My base question is whether the knob type radios used in 68-9 are the same configuration as knob radios in 1970...

Thanks! Have you used this radio?

Hey ST12-340,

Yes, I have this radio in my 68 Cuda but with the Thumbwheels. It works perfectly and I also bought the hidden antenna and the USB port.

'68-at least early '69 Darts all had thumbwheels, no rally dashes those years. Base Barracudas of the same vintage also, 99% sure rally dash those years also were thumbwheel, but B'cudas are not my forte.

I just installed the thumb wheel version of the Redondo and got it all functional. Its a nice piece once you get everything mounted correctly to fit your car. The face plate and knobs/thumb wheels are separate of the main deck and can be positioned in different locations and are connected with harnesses. So fitting the deck can be time consuming and I had to trim some of the bracket to fit the opening. The direction clearly state to modify the bracket as needed to fit (i.e. bend, cut, swear, drink beer, swear some more, drink more beer, add your own parts, etc), so this isn't a 100% drop in right our of the box. Mounting isn't stock either, I had to buy longer 1/4-20 counter sunk bolts, nut and washers to mount mine from behind the dash frame and they include a strap to mount the rear of the unit to support it. Don't count on the two posts to support the deck like the original or other aftermarket 2 post decks.

Hey ST12-340,

Yes, I have this radio in my 68 Cuda but with the Thumbwheels. It works perfectly and I also bought the hidden antenna and the USB port.

Sure nice 'hi-tech' stuff, but, what about a basic A.M./F.M. option - with no 'bells and whistles'? - ie: Sirius, Bluetooth, USB etc. Price would have to be some lower with only radio features and decent amp. Some of us want a 'period-correct' design with modern components - complete with OEM style fender-mounted antenna hookup.

I've used some of these Retro Sound and others in B and E bodies and I've found that they use a cheap internal amp that sounds like crap. Goes real loud but has a lot of distortion. Use a separate power amp and they work good as a head unit/preamp.
Also is funny how these companies don't know what all their product fits. 68-69 are different than 70 and if it fits 70 then it will fit 70-76 in an A body.

So let me ask this in a different way. Can you put a 68-69 radio in a 70 A body? Is the cut out in the metal dash the same? These replacement radios have a much smaller box than the originals in any case, so I don't think that interference with the case is an issue, just that the configuration of knobs, buttons and dial face is identical. From the pics of 67 next to 70, they seem the same.

So let me ask this in a different way. Can you put a 68-69 radio in a 70 A body? Is the cut out in the metal dash the same? These replacement radios have a much smaller box than the originals in any case, so I don't think that interference with the case is an issue, just that the configuration of knobs, buttons and dial face is identical. From the pics of 67 next to 70, they seem the same.
As stated, '68-'69 radios were thumbwheels, they do not fit a '67 or a '70 and up stock dash. The cutouts and mounting are completely different. Major butchery would be required, or a complete dash frame swap.
'68-'69:
th?id=OP.esXxClTZpd%2bPtw474C474&w=160&h=150&rs=1&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=21.jpg

'70 and up:
OP.tIyzqWdeo5RkcQ474C474?w=160&h=150&rs=1&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=21.jpg

Last edited:
'67 and earlier, knobs, '68-9 thumbwheel, 70 rally dash thumbwheel, '70-6 knobs. I haven't had any problem swapping the knob radios around, but, there are some differences. Obviously, the dial is different between Dodge and Plymouth (and sometimes model name), and the knobs can look different depending on the year. There are also support bracket post location differences, but, those can be overcome with moving the post, making a custom bracket, or clever use of plumbers tape. The thumbwheels are the same way, plus the rally dashes used a different faceplate than the non-rally dashes when it comes to mounting the radio to the dash face. Some B and C body cars can be a donor too, but, usually the face plates are different as well as all the other points I mentioned.

'67 and earlier, knobs, '68-9 thumbwheel, 70 rally dash thumbwheel, '70-6 knobs. I haven't had any problem swapping the knob radios around, but, there are some differences. Obviously, the dial is different between Dodge and Plymouth (and sometimes model name), and the knobs can look different depending on the year. There are also support bracket post location differences, but, those can be overcome with moving the post, making a custom bracket, or clever use of plumbers tape. The thumbwheels are the same way, plus the rally dashes used a different faceplate than the non-rally dashes when it comes to mounting the radio to the dash face. Some B and C body cars can be a donor too, but, usually the face plates are different as well as all the other points I mentioned.
I forgot all about the '70 (rally dashes only) using thumbwheels- so I guess I would have to amend my answer to the OP's question to: '68-'69 radios will fit a '70 IF it has a factory rally dash (with thumbwheels). But he's looking at knob radios for a standard dash, anyway. I think the problem is that he was misinformed as to fitment by the customer service guy.

At least dart. The 68 69 radio has thumb wheels.. but if you are asking will a 2 post radio fit in the dash without modification where a 2 post radio was originally, Maybe!

Sorry for the vague answer. Too many variabiles, post spacing, head opening, depth, height, etc.

As I recall, back in the day, most 2 post aftermarket radios were about the same but the opening for the head was never the same and requiring cutting

Screenshot_20201217-115233.png

I too forgot about 70 Dart with Rallye dash having a thumb wheel. I should have known that for I just did one 3 years ago.
Here are two 70 Darts. One with Rallye and one with standard.

20180704_094515.jpg

20151010_170752.jpg

Here is the dash frame in my 68 Valiant for a thumb wheel.
And the 70-71 and a 72 Dart standard frames for the knob radio.

20161126_143513.jpg

20151002_075156.jpg

Looking at all this, it is clear that neither Retro Radio, nor Vintage Radio know what their radios actually fit. Retro is selling knob radios for "1969-70 Darts" and Vintage thinks they have no radio to fit a 70 Dart, but I would bet that the knob radio they sell for a 1970 B body would fit.

This does not surprise me when several vendors sell 1970 "Dart" script that never appeared on a 1970 Dart, and the seat covers for my 1970 Dart Custom appear under Dodge B-body in two major catalogs...

Does anybody have a 1970 B body dash frame or knob radio that they can do some measurements on to see if the openings are the same as an A body?

I really want to thank those who have taken the time to help figure this out. It's hard to find a modern radio that fits in an A body dash without cutting things. There are some nice, but expensive alternatives out there. My 2 other 1970 Darts have original AM radios converted for AM/FM/RCA input and that company now also can add blue tooth - a literal Mom & Pop business that I found at Carlisle. The big thing that I don't like about that is you have to switch the radio on and off fast to trigger change from AM to FM and some times it works and sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it takes multiple tries, and some times if you are listening to the radio and start the car, you end up switched to AM and then you start turning it off and on trying to get the FM station back. Oh yeah, and that it costs almost $500 to get one done...

I have a 70 Dart standard frame that is uncut that I can measure but probably won't be until Saturday.
Also I've never seen a Dart script on a 70. Dodge script yes which I have some.

-
Back