radio wiring harness

-

hardcharger426

Reaction score
Hey Mopar Guys,

I'm installing an aftermarket radio in my duster which came with an Am 1 speaker deal.

How do I wire into the original harness? I don't want to have a bunch of extra wires hooked up to the fuse panel.

The radio has a hot to the battery,(I'm assuming for the presets), a fuse link to fuse box, and a black ground.

The wiring radio plug has three wires coming in. A black single(ground?) and a doulble with a yellow and black. Oddly enough the wire coming off the radio fuse in red with a white tracer.

Any help would be great.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a 71 shop manual, but I DO have access to a 71/ 72

But both are similar. The original radio connector is a TWO conductor T shaped connector.

The 70 and 72 book both shows 2 orange leads to one of the terminals. This is your dimmer controlled dash/ dial light

For the other terminal

The 70 book shows a brown and a white going to the power terminal

The 72 book shows a red and a white going to the power terminal

So far as the speakers, it depends on whether you had a factory rear speaker and a fader control. The "simple" front speaker were simply wires going direct from the radio to the speaker, a black and a green

It also depends on whether you had stereo/ tape, etc. Between the 70 and 72 manuals, NEITHER shows speaker optional wiring for the valiant series, but the color coding is probably similar to the other bodies. The problem is, there were several options, so that depends on what you have now

thanks Dart,

really all I need to know is what the 3 wires are in the T plug that plugs into the radio for a 71. One is a single black and the other is a double wire with a yellow and a black.

Unfortunately the car isn't wired all the way so I don't have power to the ignition yet.

Originally the car was an Am with a single dash speaker.

You talking about your dash harness? Should not be a 3 wire but a two wire.

Since both the 70 and 72 have orange going to one terminal (the dash light) you may have 'hold of the wrong connector. Only thing I see (in the 72 manual) that matches your description is the connector for the headlight buzzer.

-
Back