Railroads for Christmas

-

Max340

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you read Trains Magazine. They have an article this month on the Kansas City Southern's Holiday Train.

This was a tradition started by one of the companies that KCS bought up in the 1990's. Currently, its such a large prohject that the train will travel about 2000 miles, and have 23 stops in 22 town this year. It consists of a "Holiday train, with a mock up of a steam engine, a couple of flat car displays, a couple of box cars full of goodies, a caboose with a display, and a caboose with Santa himself, along with the real life wife playing Santa's wife. This is pulled by a couple of F units, and has cars from the executive train in order to house the 45 crew and volunteers. The executive train is fully staffed with chefs and porters to take care of the volunteers and crew members from the railroad.

It started out as a holiday train, and a box car held donations from the railroad employees. While waiting to see Santa, crew members would circle through the crowd looking for kids without winter clothes, and discreetly ask if they would like to try on some mittens, or a coat etc.

It grew into a project that distributes Wal Mart gift cards, gets people in the towns to donate hot chocolate, clothing items and such, while the crew bags up small gift bags for each visitor to Santa. The crew rely heavily on the local Salvation Army stores to help them pinpoint needs in each community.

The kids often come from poverty stricken homes, even in the best of times. All lists brought by kids are put into a large box on the train. One child simply asked for three packs of lead for his mechanical pencil. Another child simply asked that they might have a Christmas, since they usually had nothing. For some reason, this little girl left an address on her list. The crew quickly took up a collection, went and bought "Christmas", and delivered it to the address.

The real story doesn't stop there. This is all planned year round by the director of special operations. Trains mag asked him about the cost. He claimed he didn't really know the cost. Apparently he and the President of the KCS both feel it is something that allows the railroad to not only show the pride of its employees, but to be able to give back to the community. Cost is not a concern, even this year.

What a great idea Thank you for sharing this Max340

Here is a couple pictures I took I would like to share with you.
Just outside of Jonesboro Arkansas

train1.jpg

train5.jpg

Good for KCS.

I'm a railroader myself, but I've got to give the competition a thumbs up here. CP rail runs a Christmas train every year. Always a sight to see.

index_1.jpg

Thanks memike for posting your pics of Union Pacific Challenger #3985. Here's a pic of Union Pacific 'Big Boy' # 4014 that's currently on display at the Pomona Fairplex here in SoCal. #4014 is supposed to be in almost 'new' condition and very close to being operational.
My dad was an engineer for Union Pacific and the love of trains was passed on to me at birth.
Sadly, dad passed way too early at the age of 44 back in 1956. He had the freight run between Los Angeles and Yermo, CA. I still remember the times as a very young boy when my Mom would drive me down to the station in East Los Angeles and he'd stop the train, I'd get on and ride the rest of the way in to the train yards with him in the cab of the engine.
Again, thanks for bringing back those early memories!
It was great reading about the Christmas Trains. I wish there was something like that here in SoCal.

up4014.jpg

Good for KCS.

I'm a railroader myself, but I've got to give the competition a thumbs up here. CP rail runs a Christmas train every year. Always a sight to see.

CP Rail's train is scheduled to be here in NEPA for some photo ops in the next month or so.

-
Back