Rain Gutter Sealing

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Good morning, Guys!
As I am going over the project (71 Dart) in excruciating detail, I have noticed a couple of small areas where I need to repair some of the sealer used in the rain gutter. The vast majority of the existing sealer is in great condition, so I only want to repair what is split or pulled away. I am thinking that I can use masking tape to create a boundary on the sheet metal. What product have you guys used in a similar repair? Any tips on using the sealer or the process you used to fix yours? Thanks for your help! L8r

Jim

You need to remove anything that is remotely close to loose. Then you can replace with seam sealer.
Honestly I would remove it all and start from scratch. You would be surprised how much rust can be hiding under that seam sealer.
I just stripped the drip edge on a friends 67 barracuda yesterday. It looked fine other than some places it was separating. One side was rusted the whole way down. Not bad rust but it would have been if left.
Here is a picture of it cleaned and epoxy primed after. I didnt get a before pic unfortunately.

20200817_192553.jpg

20200816_213709.jpg

Clean it all. All the way to the metal. You'll be sorry if you don't. After I brushed on two thick coats of Rustoleum industrial oil based paint and let that cure completely, I came beck over it with a brush on seam sealer called Old Dominion. It's a rubberized seam sealer and it works very well.

You need to remove anything that is remotely close to loose. Then you can replace with seam sealer.
Honestly I would remove it all and start from scratch. You would be surprised how much rust can be hiding under that seam sealer.
I just stripped the drip edge on a friends 67 barracuda yesterday. It looked fine other than some places it was separating. One side was rusted the whole way down. Not bad rust but it would have been if left.
Here is a picture of it cleaned and epoxy primed after. I didnt get a before pic unfortunately.

View attachment 1715580143

View attachment 1715580144

Thanks MoparMike. I will certainly address whatever I uncover if it is not what I am expecting. L8r

Jim

Clean it all. All the way to the metal. You'll be sorry if you don't. After I brushed on two thick coats of Rustoleum industrial oil based paint and let that cure completely, I came beck over it with a brush on seam sealer called Old Dominion. It's a rubberized seam sealer and it works very well.

Thanks for the tip on the product RustyRatRod and how you did yours! L8r

Jim

Here is how I did this one. First use a heat gun to soften the old seam sealer. Once you get a piece started you just pull with light pressure while heating and most of it will come out, even out of the nooks. Next I used a wire wheel on the grinder to get all the remnants out. Next I hit it real good with some 60 grit by hand to get most of the rust and any remaining loose stuff. Then I treated it with Ospho before applying epoxy primer. I made sure to put excess primer in the trough so it would seep in all the seems. Rags at the ends to catch the runoff. Let it flash then put on a second coat.
So to replace the seam sealer you can use seam sealer like original or you can use a waterproof body filler like "metal 2 metal" or glass reinforced filler. Im using metal 2 metal on this one. Stay away from USC all metal filler, its not very good.
When applying the filler keep in mind if your car has drip edge moldings or not. If so you need to keep the filler/seam sealer down off that vertical lip that the trim clips on. If it doesnt you can bring it almost to the top.
I recently found a brand of seam sealer and weld through primer that is really good and a very decent price. I typically only use 3M seam sealer but this stuff is just as easy to work as the 3M. Have to go to garage and look at brand name but I will post back later.

Here is how I did this one. First use a heat gun to soften the old seam sealer. Once you get a piece started you just pull with light pressure while heating and most of it will come out, even out of the nooks. Next I used a wire wheel on the grinder to get all the remnants out. Next I hit it real good with some 60 grit by hand to get most of the rust and any remaining loose stuff. Then I treated it with Ospho before applying epoxy primer. I made sure to put excess primer in the trough so it would seep in all the seems. Rags at the ends to catch the runoff. Let it flash then put on a second coat.
So to replace the seam sealer you can use seam sealer like original or you can use a waterproof body filler like "metal 2 metal" or glass reinforced filler. Im using metal 2 metal on this one. Stay away from USC all metal filler, its not very good.
When applying the filler keep in mind if your car has drip edge moldings or not. If so you need to keep the filler/seam sealer down off that vertical lip that the trim clips on. If it doesnt you can bring it almost to the top.
I recently found a brand of seam sealer and weld through primer that is really good and a very decent price. I typically only use 3M seam sealer but this stuff is just as easy to work as the 3M. Have to go to garage and look at brand name but I will post back later.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate you taking the time to provide the added detail. L8r

Jim

-
Back