Ralley dash conversion

-

340 swinger

Reaction score
Got a chance to score a 70 ralley dash out of another swinger. Will it fit my 72 swinger (non ralley) and if so how big of a deal is it to do the conversion?

You'll need to move some wires around or get the correct rallye harness.
Beyond that you'll need a sender for oil pressure gauge replaces your warning lamp type sender.

You'll need to move some wires around or get the correct rallye harness.
Beyond that you'll need a sender for oil pressure gauge replaces your warning lamp type sender.

Thanks for the info, but does the complete dash need to come out or just the instrument panel, then replace with rallye panel?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but far as I know the sheet metal dash housings are all the same.

The sheet metal dash is different. The opening on the rallye dash is bigger. Also the radio is different for 1970, it is the thumbwheel type vs the 71 and up knob type. To change the dash metal isn't difficult, but there are some challenges such as the vin tag replacement and the windshield has to be removed to get at the bolts. I can give you more details if you need.

Remove the windsheild as mentioned or you will not get to the bolts. You are going to have to replace the frame. I have seen peple on ebay selling the correct rivets to put your vin tag back on because you would want to do that. If you didnt get the harness you could get one from Year one or similar instead of trying to make what came out of your car work (that would be fun) Not! and the sending unit as mentiond is not the same. Not a big job at all if you have the parts. Just be carfull removing the glass, it can get sticky I used some soap and water to help slip it out after unlocking the gasket channel. Good luck.

If you are looking to get that bezel looking its best, take a look at cvvacumeplaters.com
they are in BC Canada and did a wonderful job replating the plastic for mine.

101_0128.jpg

NO ! Dont change out a dash housing that ca be opened up to rallye panel opening !
Just cut it.
I can never put a time frame on the projects I have going but at some point I'll be able to offer a rallye panel that has the climate controls where the radio was and you can put any aftermarket sterio where climate controls were.

NO ! Dont change out a dash housing that ca be opened up to rallye panel opening !
Just cut it.
I can never put a time frame on the projects I have going but at some point I'll be able to offer a rallye panel that has the climate controls where the radio was and you can put any aftermarket sterio where climate controls were.

why just cut it?

Checked my photobucket and dont have suitable pics handy. :(
I'll post a pic of rallye panel with its opening deminsions tomarrow.
The comparision to and altering the standard dash house should become all too simple.
Cheers

Checked my photobucket and dont have suitable pics handy. :(
I'll post a pic of rallye panel with its opening deminsions tomarrow.
The comparision to and altering the standard dash house should become all too simple.
Cheers

Thanks for the help. I don't really think this process sounds too simple though.

-
Back