Ralley Tach ,can't make it work...WHY?

-

wyoduster

live free or die
Reaction score
I've put in a ralley tach in my ralley dash to fill the void and I can't make it work. It has two studs to hook up to and I've tried alot of combinations but can't make it work. Any Ideas?? I hooked it to power and to coil??? various ways... If it doesn't work does someone fix them..Reasonably?

I got a tach in my 70 dart with the ralley dash. I just hooked it to the - side of the coil and to key acsesory power in my fuse box. If it is a used tach it may need rebuilt. I got all my gauges done by AutoInstruments They did a good job. They can rescreen the face for you too.

Good luck, Russ

I came on here this morning to ask the same question. I bought a reproduction tach from year for my 1968 Barracuda that fits in the middle little circle, and I have ignition 12 volt hooked up, and I have the signal wire to the - on the coil, and I am not getting anything on my tach. Is there else where I can get the signal from??

I wish I had the answer. Not finding tach in wiring diagrams I have.
I am curious as to does it need swtched 12 volt though. the (-) side of the coil may send current through the tach first the on to the distributer.

I've got a repop tach that works but goes dead every once in a while.
On the repop tach you need a good ground from the tach to somewhere.
I'm thinking the ground is what my problem is, so I will check that first. It is currently grounded to the back of the cluster as per the directions, but might do better with the ground running to the frame.

As for the others, have you tried pulling the tach out and connecting it out in the enginve bay? Run your power and ground to the battery and then the coil wire. If if works there, you can start working on your interior wiring.

I also have a bunch of wiring diagrams, that I couldnt find the tach wire in the engine bay... Now I do have an electronic voltage regulator, as my car came that way, would that make a difference for the tach signal off the coil?

I was thinking the same about the ground, the place it comes to be grounded in the dash doesn't seem like a good ground....But then again, why would they make it like that?

I am also using an electronic regulater with a MSD 6AL, prior to getting the cluster tach, I had a cheap tach bolted to the under dash area and it worked without a problem. It was wired to the battery - and to the MSD tach output and 12 volt switched off of the ballast resister. Prior to the MSD it was run to the coil, with a MP orange box without issue.

As for the cluster ground, I would look there first. The wires are old and the connections may not be the best. I'm going to run a ground from where the tach hooks up to the rear of the cluster to the fire wall. I'll be trying that on Sunday, provided the rain holds off.

Hey, thanks for the help.... I tried checking the ground, with a ground that is 100% grounded, I still didn't get the tach going. I will keeping farting around, and any other ideas would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Shane

Hey, thanks for the help.... I tried checking the ground, with a ground that is 100% grounded, I still didn't get the tach going. I will keeping farting around, and any other ideas would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Shane
Same thing for me I also tried grounding and every possible hookup combination. Tach maybe junk.... Looks nice tho.

I emailed year one, here is what they told me to try:

Thank you for purchasing Year One parts; we regret this is not working. I assume you got a part number NP123 or NP124. Unfortunately neither of these is on the shelf, so I don’t have a wiring diagram to reference. In addition to power and a signal from the coil, the tach should be a grounded. His is either accomplished through the housing or a separate wire. Either way, verify it is good. Also, verify the wire from the coil negative shows flashing power at the tach when starting. If ok and everything else checks ok to this point, it is assumed the tach is defective

I will check this on the weekend.

-
Back