Rally dash harness vs standard dash

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Hey all, how do you tell the difference between a wiring harness from a rally dash vs one from a standard dash? I'm putting my '67 Barracuda back together and I can't tell which harness came out of it. I've got a bunch of harnesses here from number of different A bodies but I'm not sure which to use. Are there any noticeable differences to look for? Also I have a console with 4 speed so I need to sort out what wiring goes down to it.

OK, find the round inst' panel harness connector. This connector for a rallye harness will have fewer wires in it than the same round connector for a standard panel. A rallye harness will also have a flat/ straight line connector ( 4 ports but only 3 wires ) about a foot away that also goes to inst' panel. The orange illumination wire is branched/doubled , found in both round and straight line connectors. 2 indicator wires were moved from the round to the straight line.
Unless you'll have a live lighter well in a manual trans console, there wont be any wires. The automatic console has a reverse lamp switch ( 2 wires ) and orange wire to indicator lamp.

the rallye harness should have the round circuit board connector configured like this with only 8 wires.
upload_2016-12-1_9-30-32.png

the non-rallye harness should have the round circuit board connector configured like this with 9 wires
upload_2016-12-1_9-33-58.png

the rallye harness should have the round circuit board connector configured like this with only 8 wires.
View attachment 1714994395
I don't have a similar drawing of the rally connector... but neither of those drawings appears to be correct.
From my memory...
Oil is gray, temp is purple, illumination is orange, for all.
In the rallye connector, Fuel is dark blue and at 12 oclock position ( directly above the connector key ). 12 volt is blue w/ white tracer and at 10 oclock position. None of this could have changed at any rally panel/year model unless they changed the printed circuit boards also.
Don't ever trust a second hand wiring diagram. In fact, If you have the 67 factory service manual, you'll need to take notice that the engineer who drew it rotated the entire connector 90 degrees on paper. The center key is the key. Turn the book 90 degrees if you need to.

Last edited:
the colors may not be the same, as that graphic is from the a-body harness from American Auto Wire, but the circuit positions should be correct

-
Back