rally wheel size

-

joshhuskey@live

duster dude
Reaction score
hey guys aint been on here in forever been out working on the duster! so now i got a question.

back last year i bought a set of rally wheels for my 73 duster they are 14x5.5 and 14x6 and on the back it had g70-14s bias ply tires and they were wide and would rub the leaf spring. well now im looking at tires and i want a set of bf goodwrench radial T/As i wanna run 225/60/r14s on the front and 245/60/r14s on the back would that rub the leaf spring? what kind of stuff would i have to do to make them fit? mini tub? spring relocation? and what width rim would i need for the 245?

thanks
josh

245/60/r14 should just fit on the back without doing any mods. it will be close to the spring but should fit. had them on my dart for years.

245-60-14 on dart no problem with a 7 inch wheel ... but Duster unsure of ... First of all , since that is the tire size that you want to run specifically .. what width is the foot print on that tire , then we can verify the wheel minimum width .. then we can see if that 6 inch wide wheel is ok to run with that tire ...

A G70-14 is equivalent to a 225/70-14, I can't imagine why you would have had them rubbing the springs. It is going to be the back spacing of the rim that determines how close the tire is to the spring.

I have 255/60-15's with 4.5" of back spacing on my 68 Barracuda and have about 1/2" of clearance to the spring and over an 1" to the wheel well lip. The Duster and Cuda have the biggest wheel wells of the A-body cars.

BTW, I had 235/60-14's all the way around on 6" ralley's on my car before swaping to 15" wheels.

yall are lucky i love to take pics

IMG_0235.jpg

so it looks like the raised white letters were rubing the leaf spring

245-60-14 on dart no problem with a 7 inch wheel ... but Duster unsure of ... First of all , since that is the tire size that you want to run specifically .. what width is the foot print on that tire , then we can verify the wheel minimum width .. then we can see if that 6 inch wide wheel is ok to run with that tire ...

the rims im looking at are 14x7s from wheel vintiques (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-56-4712044/) and they have a 4.25 inch back space. the only reason im geting new wheels is that the old ones are bent up
the tire (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BFG-54322/) has a tread width of 8 inches

hope that helps a lil bit

As mentioned above, the tire size you plan on running should fit wo/any mods but after seeing the pic, I am wondering what the backspacing is on the wheels and also wonder if the rearend assembly is relatively centered. Were you only rubbing on one side or is it just as tight on the other side as well?

-
Back