rallye dash radio question...

-

danmc77

Reaction score
I'm swaping out my standard dash and cluster with a nice rallye setup. I have a question about the radio...

I want to go with the radio w/ the round knobs, rather than the thumb wheel. How exactly does the radio mount in the dash? Is there a difference in the actual dash frame with the different types of radios, or is it just a matter of what bezel you use?

Anybody got pics of the dash frames without the cluster installed? I'd like to get an idea of how everything mounts.

My guess is the frame would have to be different, as the radio with knobs goes through holes in the dash, then through the bezel. The radio is also supported in the back by a small bracket that goes from the bottom of the dash to the back of the radio. My dash is out so I can take some pics tomorrow, if no one else has posted any by then.

Thanks - I saw a couple dashes, but have yet to see one with the round holes - just a big square one. That's why I'm curious as to how it actually works.

Wost case scenario - I'll just cut my standard dash and weld in the round-knob piece to the replacement rallye dash frame. I'll make it work.

You havta have matching parts for it to work!
Dash, Bezel, and Radio are totaly different based on year of car or in the case of conversion all 3 must match.

Later,
Bruce B.

You havta have matching parts for it to work!
Dash, Bezel, and Radio are totaly different based on year of car or in the case of conversion all 3 must match.

Later,
Bruce B.

I have the radio and bezel - so you are saying that the dash frame IS different too?

Yes the Dash Frame is different. The Thumbwheel Radio frame has the large square opening while the Standard Radio one has the small square opening with the Radio knob shaft holes on either side. However... What Dash Frame and year are you starting with? A Standard or a Rallye? Then we go from there......

Later,
Bruce B.

ok - I'm starting w/ a 73 Duster standard dash. I'm replacing the entire dash frame with a 70 rallye unit that I'm purchasing froma fellow member - looks like it's got the big rectangular hole - so i guess it was originally a thumbwheel dash. I have a 70 cluster, and am buying a repro bezel with the knob radio. I have a knob radio from the original 73 dash.

So I guess my plan is to cut my 73 radio area out and weld it into the 70 dash frame to support the kn ob radio. Then the bezel will cover it up and make it all look like it was supposed to be that way. How's that sound?

That should do the trick. Just check and double check the radio patch panel before welding it. I think the Rallye Cluster frame is different too.... I will go look in my pile of Rallye Clusters tommorow and try to get some pics of the differences for you. When I converted my '72 to Rallye Cluster I just cut out the excess steel from the Standard Cluster dash and left/bent the tabs for screws where needed.
You also have to rearainge some of the Connector Pins for the Rallye Circut Board.

Later,
Bruce b.

I have 2 different clusters - they have slight differences in the heater control mounting areas, and a slight difference in the switch to the left of the radio (not sure what switch that is) - the square hole on one is vertical, and the other is horizontal. I'll figure out which one I need and I'll make it all work.

Thanks again for all the great info!!

-
Back