Rallye mirrors

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
So, im sick of my mirrors flopping around, moving when i put the cover on, etc. Currently running standard reproduction round mirrors on both sides, and yes the passengers side is all but useless.

Looking at the new chrome housing reproduction mirrors, it seems that the drivers side is remote only. Passengers is full manual.
My car is not drilled.for rrmote, nor do i want it to be. Can the remote part be secured up inside the door or cut off and the mirror adjusted manually? How are they on the "floppy and automatically changing " front? Any suggested vendors or a specific manufacturer i should look for?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure on the rallye mirror part but if you want to give it a go on keeping your mirror from flopping around, give it a soak in laquer thinner in one of those small harbor freight magnetic dishes. That should loosen up the factory glue enough to be able to pop the mirror out easily without breaking it. Then you can put super glue on the pivot ball inside the mirror housing. That should give the mirror something to grip on to keep it from flopping around. Then glue the glass back on and you should be set.

This repair worked on my Duster's driver side mirror for a good 10 years before it started to loosen up again. Problem is that whatever newer adhesive I used doesn't loosen up with lacquer thinner so I'd need to break the glass or buy a new mirror to fix it.

I'm not sure on the rallye mirror part but if you want to give it a go on keeping your mirror from flopping around, give it a soak in laquer thinner in one of those small harbor freight magnetic dishes. That should loosen up the factory glue enough to be able to pop the mirror out easily without breaking it. Then you can put super glue on the pivot ball inside the mirror housing. That should give the mirror something to grip on to keep it from flopping around. Then glue the glass back on and you should be set.

This repair worked on my Duster's driver side mirror for a good 10 years before it started to loosen up again. Problem is that whatever newer adhesive I used doesn't loosen up with lacquer thinner so I'd need to break the glass or buy a new mirror to fix it.
Good place to start. If you f it up you can get a new mirror. My brand new driver remote mirror can be adjusted with my thumb.

Just to be clear, i don't currently have rallye mirrors or remote adjustment. Part of this is also upgrading to rallye mirrors cause a really want a set....

@dusterbd13 I appreciate you posting this question. I bought a used set of sport mirrors and when they got here the cable for the drivers side was cut off. The glass just flops around and I am looking for a way to convert it into a “fixed” mirror with no remote. Sounds like we are trying to do the same thing.

-
Back