Rallye wheel trim rings?

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
Did Ma Mopar ever NOT put a trim ring on the Rallye wheel? A google search shows a '71 Demon Sizzler with Rallye wheels and no trim ring.

Sizzler-1.jpg

Sizzler-2.jpg

Any other models come without trim rings on the Rallye?

Not on Sizzler's. Dart Lite either I don't believe. Those econo models didn't get rings.

001.jpg

Last edited:
Trim rings always look better. Other wise people will think the car is not done yet.

I like the no trim ring look! Looks less blingy to me. GTO Judges and early T/As came so equipped also without trim rings.

judge.jpg

trans am.jpg

Last edited:
Those GM wheels are very different from Mopar rally wheels. IMO, they need the trim rings or they just look like bare cop wheels with a fancy center cap.

Preproduction press releases aren't proof to me. Please show me a build sheet or fender tag of 14" A body 5 1'2" wheels from the factory without trim rings. The Pontiac PMD II's are a different animal, as are the other BOP wheels. I'll show documentation and photos of the different, correct 14" wheels for my '70 Swinger 340, including a build sheet. I also have a signed lithograph(sure!) of the photo of the 1970 Swinger 340 with Painted steel wheels with trim rings mounted, although the factory never built one.
20210928_181755.jpg
20211111_155550 (1).jpg

Fratzog pie plate hubcaps.jpeg
After looking at pictures of a friend's car from 23 years ago, I agree, and apologize to all members for my incorrect comment. I'm not too old to admit when I've erred. I forgot about when Ma Mopar was making decal hotrod A bodies. Has anyone seen a 318 car with a snorkel scoop? Another can of worms, I know, but my old brain is still a sponge. The GM cars are easy, but never say never about Mother Mopar. It took me awhile to learn the finer point on the A body's SBP 70-71 Ralley and steel 340 wheels and hubs. I learned something today from a member halfway around the world, and I like it. It's nice to be old and not get butt hurt about any small error. Thanks, Marvin. I can send you any SBP pictures from my cars as penance. A photo of my real 1970 Swinger 340 poverty caps for your inspection. I have many hours in metal work and polishing.

I seen factory ads and posters of B body cars:

A- with rally wheels and centers but no rings

B- with rallye wheels but without centers or rings.

I distinctly remember the ads and cars without trim rings. The idea was to make a good looking, racy looking cars at an affordable price. Trim rings would add cost. But ugh! Those whitewalls on Rallyes! Remember the idea of the original Road Runner? Good go-fast mechanical goodies without the frills. That's why Pontiac created the Judge.

Sizzlers and Twisters came with 198, 225 or 318's. Anyone who was there in the early 70s remembers the insurance rates. And a 3 speed stick or automatic was less. I was paying $1000/yr for a 4 speed 67 Barracuda.

Having said all that, I have Rallyes on my 64 and left the trim rings on the shelf. I think it makes the 14" wheels look bigger and it's just extra rotating inertia.

-
Back