Rallyes-New vs OEM

-

1badfish67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Couple of questions about new SBP Rallyes and OEM.

1) What width/back set were available from factory?

I am looking at possibly 8" for rear with 235/60/14 and possibly 5.5" or 6" on front with possibly 195/70/14 front.

2) Are there any issues with wheel strength, flexing, trim rings coming off under hard acceleration etc.

3) Would trim rings and caps like the ones that Coker sells fit OEM wheels?

Thanks

Couple of questions about new SBP Rallyes and OEM.

1) What width/back set were available from factory?

I am looking at possibly 8" for rear with 235/60/14 and possibly 5.5" or 6" on front with possibly 195/70/14 front.

2) Are there any issues with wheel strength, flexing, trim rings coming off under hard acceleration etc.

3) Would trim rings and caps like the ones that Coker sells fit OEM wheels?

Thanks
On what car? I don't think I have heard of any issues with 6" on the front along as you don't use too tall of a tire. 7" wide with 4-4.5" backspace work on Darts and Scamps but they are very close. I have only known acoupke guts that use 8" on the rear of those cars but they did have to do some fender lip trimming and rolling.
Trim rings coming off aren't an issue as long as you don't drive it sideways like you stole it.

Aftermarket rings and center caps should work fine on stock wheels.

I got rallyes from Specialty Wheels. Factory wheels are 5.5 inches wide. The new wheels are 6 inches. They are as strong as factory and haven't been running over stuff for 50 years. The ones that I got were powdercoated the original color so the finish is much more durable. Specialty will make 6, 7, 8 inch wheels with whatever offset you order. That means it's on you to order the right offset - they are custom made so no returns. There are a zillion threads on here about the correct offset for various cars and tires/wheels.
:thumbsup:

Trim rings really don't come off under any circumstances, because they can flex along with the wheel rim, unlike full wheel covers, which can't flex because they are solid disks and so pop off. So don't worry about that.

Factory SBP rally wheels were 14 x 5.5 only. You can fit up to 215/70-14 tires on them. Check the fit charts on TireRack.com to see how wide a wheel you need for various tire widths. It can vary by manufacturer.

On what car? I don't think I have heard of any issues with 6" on the front along as you don't use too tall of a tire. 7" wide with 4-4.5" backspace work on Darts and Scamps but they are very close. I have only known acoupke guts that use 8" on the rear of those cars but they did have to do some fender lip trimming and rolling.
Trim rings coming off aren't an issue as long as you don't drive it sideways like you stole it.

Aftermarket rings and center caps should work fine on stock wheels.
It's a 67 Barracuda. Car has 8" US Indy mags on rear with 235/60/14. 6" US Indies on front 195/70/14.

All of these have a 3-3/8" backset.

It's a 67 Barracuda. Car has 8" US Indy mags on rear with 235/60/14. 6" US Indies on front 195/70/14.

Currently have 1-7/8" sidewall to spring clearance on the rear.

More room in the Barracuda's I hear. You should be fine with 8's.

Another fitting question.

I had to do some fenderwell re-construction on the front two fenders prior to paint. Someone had cut the front side of the fenderwell toward the grill at an angle removing the lip that holds the chrome wheelwell trim.

when I repaired it I made the wheelwell opening pretty much symmetrical. I didn't have a reference fender to look at/measure and I hadn't found this forum at the time.

I am a little concerned about tire rubbing the front of the fender. The 6" US Indys with 3-3/8" backset don't rub but the engine is out of the car and was out prior to fender repair.

Does anyone know if more or less wheel back set would help move the tire away from the fenderwell front edge so I won't have to cut into the new paint job?

I've got 14" X 5 1/2" factory Rallyes up front with P195/75R14 tires (I believe the back spacing is 3 3/4"(?)).

On the rear I have 15" X 7" WheelVintique Rallyes (4 1/4" back spacing (if I remember correctly)) with P245/60R15 tires (could have gone with P255/60R15s).

IMG_9219.jpg

Both of those tire sizes figure out to be ~ 25.5" tall. What gear you running and automatic or standard tranny? Mine has 489/3.23:1 Sure Grip with 4spd. Wondering about 1st gear cruising speed when "Dragging Main". 25.5" tire w/3.23 looks to be ~ 7.5 mph @ 850 rpm with 2.66 ratio first gear. Hoping not to have to constantly be on/off the clutch. Didn't mind it when I was in my teens but 40+ years older now. Haha.

I got rallyes from Specialty Wheels. Factory wheels are 5.5 inches wide. The new wheels are 6 inches. They are as strong as factory and haven't been running over stuff for 50 years. The ones that I got were powdercoated the original color so the finish is much more durable. Specialty will make 6, 7, 8 inch wheels with whatever offset you order. That means it's on you to order the right offset - they are custom made so no returns. There are a zillion threads on here about the correct offset for various cars and tires/wheels.
:thumbsup:
Is Specialty Wheels the same as "Wheel Smith"? If not, would you happen to have the full company name/URL?

Thanks

WheelSmith isn't the same. Contacted them and Terry said they don't make the Mopar Rallyes in 14".

Think I'm just going to go for it and order a pair of the 14" x 8" (4-5/8") back set from Coker. Will post again when they come in and have tried them on the car.

-
Back