Ram on Ram Violence

-

BadAss71

Let's Go Brandon
Reaction score
First off, everyone involved is for the most part ok. The 75 year old man was taken to the hospital as a precaution but seemed to be ok.

Here's what happened. My parents were headed to the new house with a full trailer load of household goods. Furniture, beds, couches, TV's, the usual kind of stuff. The trailer was about 90% full. The fragile stuff was inside the truck, like computers and whatnot. As my parents approached the intersection doing 40-45 mph the 75 year old man thought he had enough time to make the left turn. Obviously he didn't. Dad had enough time to slam on the brakes and hold on for the ride. He hit the guy right at the passenger rear door and bed side. Hit him hard enough to spin him 360 degrees, blow the camper shell off, and bust the rear wheel/hub/brakes off the guys truck. The guys truck is a 04 Ram 1500 two wheel drive. My dads truck took a hell of a hit to the front. Hard enough that the passenger door won't close now that it has been opened, and the bed slammed in to the cab real hard. Also bent the receiver on the hitch up pretty good. The air bags didn't deploy which is kind of shocking to me. At this point the truck looks bent enough to where they will probably total it. Sad part is, dad just got this thing 2 months ago! Doesn't even have a real plate on it. Its a 2010 Ram 3500 2wd. Such a nice truck with low miles. A real shame. So, 2 Rams taken out in one shot. A sad day. Thankfully my folks are unscathed and will live to see another day!

Attachments

• ram1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 393
  • ram2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 385
  • ram3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 401
  • ram4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 388
  • ram5.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 408
  • ram6.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 399
Whoa! did your dad go and get checked out?? i'll have to give him a ring sometime later after the dust settles

Whoa! did your dad go and get checked out?? i'll have to give him a ring sometime later after the dust settles

No he hasn't. He feels fine right now, we will see if its the same story in the morning! Lol You should definitely give him a jingle. Are you going to the Hemi show on the 19th??

Amazing that the trailer remained attached to the ball mount with the force of the impact and the trailer loaded. Kudos to your Dad for keeping the rig under control during his panic stop.

When I pulled up to the scene I had flashbacks to when my dart was totaled out. Same road, and all. Just 2 miles west. Made my stomach turn.

Attachments

• photo 3-13.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 374
Glad everyone is OK. Metal can be replaced, body parts not so easy.

Shame about both trucks but glad to hear injuries were not as bad as they surely could have been.

Glad everyone is ok, and I'd avoid that intersection like the plague if I was in your family.

Wow!!! Goes to show you that these Ram Style Vehicles protect their occupants. My daughter was in a rollover in the wife's Durango and she walked away.

Glad everyone's okay and that it wasn't your families fault. Keep watch of the insurance to make sure the other party doesn't try to pull a stunt and point the finger at your pops.
A guy at work had something similar happen recently but the woman he hit ran a red light and she nailed him. She called her brother and had him come down quickly to be a "witness" that my coworker ran the red light!!! People try to pull the craziest stuff.!
She told the EMT's that she needed to find her phone because she dropped it when he hit her, lol. Dummy, she told them all they needed to know right there, she was texting and ran the red light and nailed him. She even had a 3yo kid in the backseat!!

Glad everyone is ok. Both trucks really took a hit. It sorta surprised me how my the hitch bent.

Mom and dad are feeling pretty good today. Mom has some bruises on her shins from the dash but otherwise no problems. Dad is pretty pissed off about his truck lol.

Glad they're OK. I can't even fathom why those air bags didn't deploy.

And the other truck is identical to mine in color, 4 door. That one looks like 2 wheel drive though.

Make sure your parents are properly compensated. The truck is a total loss; it has value only in its mint condition undamaged parts. Mom and Dad should both be medically evaluated and treated, for the shins at the very least, and for any trauma that may require therapy. There is surely damage to the contents of the trailer from the jolt of impact. And there are expenses related to not having a vehicle while this is being sorted out. Make sure that the compensation is just, and provides for a new truck, properly equipped, and for the other expensed caused by the indident.

Well........ they are going to fix it! LOL. I honestly can't believe they are. The repair estimate is coming in at $15k. They will also be replacing the entire frame. Mom and dad are doing just fine.

You should ask for compensation from the other dudes insurance company for diminished value on the truck. Even though it will be fixed properly, and will look good as new, if/when it goes up for sale in the future....anybody that looks at a Carfax report and sees that it's been in a major crash is going to lowball you on the asking price. We went thru this with my wifes car last year. We didn't get as much diminished value $$ as we asked for, but did get enough to somewhat offset the hit we will take if we ever decide to sell it. They won't offer if you don't ask. Research "Diminished value" on the internet to determine what to ask for. We asked for 20% of what the clean retail value of our car was in NADA. Ended up getting around 15% because State Farm is a bunch of crooks. Glad your parents are ok, and good luck.

First let me say Thank goodness your folks and the other driver will see another day and moving forward, I would check in on why the air bags did not deploy ! something to look into from the person he just bought the truck from, and I agree, 15K to repair a 2010 Ram 3500 2wd seems a bit silly, but I have know idea what a 3500 Ram goes for I guess.
SO happy to see that your folks are doing fine, and I can't help but think a hard hit like that would be hard on the older folks to there lower and upper spine, I know you will keep a close eye on everything as they move forward 8)

The air bags should have deployed. I would question why they didn't. your dad won't know his injuries from that for a while. This causes spinal stenosis in older gents and not felt until sometime later in his future.

Make sure he is covered for future health problems that could occur. Us old guys all like to believe we are supermenan and assume we can take the hit. We act like the tuff guys we are not. Then we find out to late we are not as young and tuff as we thought we are.

Glad everyone is ok. I would say the weight of the trailer pushing your dads truck is what kept the air bags from deploying. Without the extra weight pushing the truck the rate of deceleration would have been much greater and the bags would have gone off. You are better off they didn't.

There will be impairment of value do to the damage on resale. This will come up on car fax. I had a similar situation with a new truck with 315 miles on it. The dealer where I bought it fixed it and I left it there for a trade . I lost $4,000 for driving it off the lot and $5,000 for it being in an accident. Make sure you collect the impairment of value due to the repair.

That cab will have air and water leaks. it will never be the same. Make sure they remove the dash and heater box before it is pulled and examine it for cracks from the hit. If not you will never get them to pay later. They will blame it on the shop. The collapsible column and shaft should also be on the estimate.

Here is what they do. they will keep the original estimate down to under 80% of the value. Then after the repair is started the shop will start adding supplements for additional repairs. If they include all parts and damage on the original estimate that truck will be totaled.

My original estimate on the truck below was $5,700. I had a independent estimate done by another shop for all actual cost of parts and labor. That estimate was $10,900

They didn't have the floor repair or the front of the bed hidden by the bed liner on the estimate. Also one leaf was bent and the rear housing was bent. They quoted the exhaust for a gas truck mine was a deisel. This was done intentionally. Because the estimate is done using the vin number for the parts. The parts they listed were not for my model and were a lot cheaper.

That was my insurance that screwed me "State Farm". Progressive Paid the $10,900 after I threatened to get an attorney and file a bodily injury claim. They agreed to the maximum limits of his policy. I then filed a claim against my insurance through my under insurance portion for the medical.

That truck will never be the same. They aren't including the possible damage to the motor or trans that will only show after the repair is done.

Take it to a Ram dealer for the repair. Trade it in on a new one the way it is and give the dealer the check from the insurance. If there is a problem the insurance should deal with it. It sounds to me you have Chrysler by the balls for the air bag issue take advantage of it. Don't let them screw your father.

X2 on Oldmanmopar's post, and if a bumper gets jolted that much the air bags should have deployed... But this is JMO.

-
Back