Ram spare tire won't drop down

-

T-Man700

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Mopar needs to come up with a better system for holding up the spare tire in a truck. I know I should have checked it out and lubed it once a year but who does that? I'm supposed to empty my hot water tank and open and close the shut-off valves on every sink, toilet, wash machine and hose bib in the house every year but who does that? The dam tire is stuck in the up position and won't drop down. I've inserted the rod and broke it. Guess I'll have to cut the thing down. Thank God my flat happened at home. I know I bought a new cheep 2014 Ram for $40K six years ago but I'm sure the $70K trucks don't fare any better than mine. Pissed off!

It’s the same with all makes. I try to drop mine once a year. If u use ur spare when u rotate tires at every other oil change u don’t usually have that problem. Kim

Yup, they all do it. Worse in winter climates.

Yup, they all do it. Worse in winter climates.
even here in so cal, when i got my 97' ranger a few years i was able to hang from it the first time before it would move. thanks for the reminder, going to cycle and lube mine this week

Worse, I think it was the Dakotas I junked, YOU CAN NOT get the winch out of there without pulling the bed or at least taking it loose and lifting it some...

When I rotate my tires I lift the entire side and go front to back. Don’t use the spare. Not many people cross rotate anymore. Ordered a new unit for $150. Just have to put this on my list of yearly crap to do. Just got back from towing a camper before I noticed that nail in the tire. Thank God it didn’t happen then or maybe it did and I just got lucky.

-
Back