Random Backfireing? Help.

-

Duster Fan

Reaction score
So usually I get my gas at a Shell station, but there wasn't any near me at the time, so I stopped at a Chevron. A few days later, my car started backfiring(kind of a sputtered backfire) it wasn't very loud, and if I accelerated it went away, and when I let off the gas, it came back.
(1970 Plymouth Duster, 750CFM Holley Dubble Pumper Carb. w/ a proform mainbody)

Did I just get some bad gas, or? This is the first time it's ever done this, and any tips would be appriciated.

could be a few things, but i once bought a charger that i had to dig out and get running. i used a 2 gallon gas can to feed the fuel pump. i got it running real good. then i switched to the tank feed and poured the rest of the can fuel into the tank. after about 15 minutes it started to pop out of the carb every few minutes. i drove it home and dropped the tank and the fuel was really dirty and the tank was rusty. i installed a fuel cell and replaced the entire fuel system and threw a holley 600 on it, and it has not done it since. i have heard of bad gas doing this, but not right out of the pump, although im sure it is entirely possible. i would get some gas from somewhere else , run it out of the can, a new filter, and try a different carb just to rule out a fuel problem. my $0.02

I haven't had "bad gas" (water in gas, or worse, ice) since we had "gasahol" shoved up our .......

A friend of mine bought some gas at a local vendor a while back, before they replaced their tanks, and ended up with a bunch of water in his tank.

I guess the tanks were leaky and allowed ground water in. He had some in a glass jar and the top 2 inches was gas and the bottom inch or so was water.

The filter is brand new, the carb. only has about 1500 miles on it, and the tank has been cleaned, and it's free of rust. I'm going to take it for a drive up to the station today, and see what happens. Another thing I forgot to mention, was that it seemed to only do it while going down hill???

Well, if it didn't do it before you bought the gas at Chevron, I would think that might be the common denominator here.

You could try some dry gas and see if it helps, although I don't care for the stuff. You could also get some of the gas out of the tank and put some in a glass jar and see if there is any separation. Since gas is lighter than water it would float to the top and you would be able to see if there is water on the bottom.

Timing or maybe one of ur valve springs are shot..onceminwent from race gas to pump and my car did the same thing and one of my rocker shafts were loose..idk good luck

-
Back