Random pictures thread

-

20240404_151122.jpg

Are you returning it?
I saw the battery at a scrap yard yesterday and just had to take a Pic of it.

I think few people nowadays realize what JCPenny was in the 70s.

They were of the likes of sears and wards yet few know that. It was before my time but I like Penny's now, good place to buy trendy clothes.

The wards sticker was on a 66 dart bumper I scraped because no one wanted it, and I don't even have a 66 dart.

I saw our local wards in it's final days in 2001. I was a kid and didn't know what I was looking at but I do have hazy memories of electric avenue. Our local sears took the place of wards in our local mall and I later worked at sears after it moved to the old wards location sometime in like 06 or 07.

I sure miss tool terrority which I really had to work and prove myself before they let me work it. They started me in baby appeal and jewelry which I hated.

They never let me work the auto shop, everytime I applied I got the ...."but, but, you're a Gurl, why would you want to get dirty with heavy tires" lecture.

If only I knew what I know now I should have taken more pictures of the good ol days long gone.

Last edited:
In the past 2 years I have bought a Sears brand cement mixer (craigslist) and 42" "attic fan" (Habitat ReStore) that I turned into a portable shop box fan. They are both that yellow-tan color with brown trim.

...and a Montgomery ward telephoto camera lens (thrift) for my friend that collects (and uses) camera stuff.
His dad used to call them "Monkey Wards".

Sears- gone
Wards- gone

Penny's we still have.
85% clothes, 10% perfume, and 5% housewares.
They did have a ratcheting pineapple corer I couldn't find anywhere else!

I remember in the early and mid 1980's when JCP started scaling back their toy and electronics departments. First the toys which pissed me off, then when I was old enough to appreciate them, the electronics. Boy was I double pissed. Their "MCS" stereo brand got laughed at in those times, but some of it was pretty nice.

Models.

...but nice.

They almost got the typical B body rust pattern around the rear wheel wells.

I saw the battery at a scrap yard yesterday and just had to take a Pic of it.

I think few people nowadays realize what JCPenny was in the 70s.

They were of the likes of sears and wards yet few know that. It was before my time
I busted tires for JC Penney's (Ridgedale) for a couple-three months in the summer of '82. During the school year I was working P/T/evenings at the Target store (kinda-sorta) across the street doing the same thing (anyone remember when you could get tires, shocks, and oil changes at Target?), but they would only give me P/T hours during the summer. Had a friend who was working at the JC Penney's, and he put-in a good word for me.

Can't say that I recognize the battery, though.

Last edited:
I have a JC Penney lifetime battery in my 69 Charger. I think I bought it in about 1979. They weren't very good so it got replaced about every 2-3 years for free until I stopped driving the car in 1993. When JC Penney got out of the auto business, they sold their warranty stuff to Firestone who then has to cover those. Remember, Penney's sold the batteries with the tag line that it was "the last battery you will ever buy for your car."

Firestone tried to quit honoring the warranty and it went to court. The judge issued the ruling that Firestone must honor the warranty as long as people make a claim. So....I plan to resurrect my Charger in the next few months and it won't be long until it will be ready for a battery. I'll be taking my old crusty Lifetime battery in to a Firestone store to get it replaced. I'm sure I'll get a blank stare and push back so I'll have the paperwork and info with me. Should be a good time!!

Here's the Charger currently waiting for his time to resurrect.

20231021_202741.jpg

I busted tires for JC Penney's (Ridgedale) for a couple-three months in the summer of '82. During the school year I was working P/T/evenings at the Target store (kinda-sorta) across the street doing the same thing (anyone remember when you could get tires, shocks, and oil changes at Target?), but they would only give me P/T hours during the summer. Had a friend who was working at the JC Penney's, and he put-in a good word for me.

Can't say that I recognize the battery, though.
I used to bust tires as a part time job at Sears in the late 70's. I held onto that job as long as I could to keep the employee discount.

I have a JC Penney lifetime battery in my 69 Charger. I think I bought it in about 1979. They weren't very good so it got replaced about every 2-3 years for free until I stopped driving the car in 1993. When JC Penney got out of the auto business, they sold their warranty stuff to Firestone who then has to cover those. Remember, Penney's sold the batteries with the tag line that it was "the last battery you will ever buy for your car."

Firestone tried to quit honoring the warranty and it went to court. The judge issued the ruling that Firestone must honor the warranty as long as people make a claim. So....I plan to resurrect my Charger in the next few months and it won't be long until it will be ready for a battery. I'll be taking my old crusty Lifetime battery in to a Firestone store to get it replaced. I'm sure I'll get a blank stare and push back so I'll have the paperwork and info with me. Should be a good time!!

View attachment 1716231864

If it were me, I'd take the car along with the battery.

I was a tire changer at goodyear senior year of HS.
Loved the job for the most part but the new manager was one of the worst people I've ever worked for or with.
Made the job basically hell.
I did make more money than my paycheck, selling RWL take off tires to kids at my school.

View attachment 1716231864
Just reminded me....

I worked for NAPA, on & off, for somewhere around 20 years, and one of my '92 trucks has a "lifetime" starter, water pump, hoses, alternator, power steering pump....get the drift here? It also has a Lifetime Warranty on the muffler, and the last time I took it in, the Manager (who used to be my Assistant Mgr) told me I was killing his margins with all of my lifetime warranties.

"Not my problem!", I jokingly (yet seriously) responded back to him.

Good luck with your battery!

My cousin just sent me this picture from a few years ago. His Fairlane had a transplanted 427 in it. The Chevelle has a 502/502 and my stroker Dart I FOOLISHLY sold to a member. Stupid me. :( :realcrazy:

thumbnail_IMG_3434.png

Took buses as a kid, and I remember the drives would make change for you, if you didn't have the correct amount.

View attachment 1716231904

The city busses I took in the 70's had fare boxes from the 1940's that had a glass "one way" double trap door setup where both you and the driver could view the pile of change to verify. You could also put in dollar bills.

It was a big deal when they got counters in the 80's that also took dollar bills.

-
Back