Rant of Disgust

-
when I bought my rally rims (I think I gave the guy $100 for the set) I went to a local tire shop looking for trim rings- they had a set hanging on the wall, and when I asked about them the guy there said I could have them for $20. Yes, I bought them. No, they're not the original style, but since I liked them more anyways I didn't really care lol

For $20 they look great....

got a fm converter any one want to trade for an h code 71 duster lol ! I'm sure we all threw out a small fortune of parts in the past that we wish we still had.

I've sold things that hit outrageous prices on there and I've also hooked people up with some incredible deals, because I usually do what Brian does, or research and set a fixed price in the middle to low end of what they actually sell for.

He shows-up with a pickup truck full of junk that was obviously going to the scrap yard. Big plans

This is the nonsense that I can't stand. The something for nothing people.
Scrappers sort of rub me like a cat pet backwards. I'll deal with them, hell, I've likely given away over $500 worth of scrap in the past year, but I don't like that business.

I'm always one to help friends. My friends and I trade parts all the time, but not across. We just give each other transmissions when we need to build something, an engine here and there, steering boxes, etc. It all comes around, when it comes to friends, because it's all about the idea and not values with them.

I'm a sucker, myself, though, but I have no regrets or buyer's remorse. I've spent money on things that likely nobody here would ever, because they don't share the same opinion on values. Ever thought it was cool to spend $400 on a board game or $550 on a skateboard to put on your wall? I have. Am I stupid? Yeah. Was it worth it to me? Uh huh! lol...

Hubcaps and rings get beat to death. It's not common to see perfect used ones for cheap, anymore. Usually they all need something. This is where buying what would be considered trash and fixing it, pays off big.

If you've got a concourse resto, you need those rings if you don't have any and $1200ish is nothing on a 150K car, but it can seem ludicrous on a cruise night '74 Dart Swinger.

If you've got a concourse resto, you need those rings if you don't have any and $1200ish is nothing on a 150K car, but it can seem ludicrous on a cruise night '74 Dart Swinger.

Kind of puts things in perspective....

There are people here on FABO that price stuff like that.

When they die and the heirs list it for a reasonable price, it will sell.

To each their own... I just laugh when I see insane asking prices.

There's a guy on ebay asking $4000 for 69 dart nos rear quarters... Not for both, each one!!

Well, it goes like this........ Don't like the price, find another one for less.

Hell, I'm asking $20,000 for my car and I haven't bothered to spend the $300 and 3 hours needed to get it running.

People get pissy with me but when I tell them to go find another matching number, 68 340, 4 speed, formula s, fastback for less...... It shuts them up.

My 69 Dart GT tail panel sold last night for $205. It was pretty beat up and I didn't really think it was worth much more than $100. Apparently, a fellow down in AL thought that it was.

ResizedImage_1368455123722_zps29e77c6a.jpg

By starting the auction low and having no reserve, people see that you really want to sell it and aren't going to hide behind some big BIN price!

I agree with Brian T, post it to sell and it will sell, post it to keep and that's what you'll be doing!!

If I want to sell items at a fair price, I list them here for the needing public. If I want them to sell for what they are actually worth, I list them on eBay.... that's why I haven't listed anything on eBay for over 2 years!! Last time I listed something there, it was a pair of 69 Cuda grilles. My reserve was $100 a piece, just what I bought them for.... They sold for over $900, and $352 shipped overnight to Sweden. Guy couldn't be happier to get them, but between the final value fees and the PayPal fee, which by he way is taken from the TOTAL WITH SHIPPING, I paid out of pocket over $200 to sell them!!! Never again!!

I now only list my stuff here....period!! If my FABO peeps don't need it,'it goes back on the shelf or off to the Nats!! Geof

Last time I listed something there, it was a pair of 69 Cuda grilles. My reserve was $100 a piece, just what I bought them for.... They sold for over $900, and $352 shipped overnight to Sweden. Guy couldn't be happier to get them, but between the final value fees and the PayPal fee, which by he way is taken from the TOTAL WITH SHIPPING, I paid out of pocket over $200 to sell them!!! Never again!!

Geoff, while I agree that Ebay and Paypal charges are outrageous, especially charging me 10% of the shipping costs when I made nothing off of them, I think your numbers above are off a little.

Your total sale was $1252 minus your listing fees $5 minus final value fees $125, minus the shipping you paid $352 minus the $200 you initially had in them equals over $500 profit?!? Am I missing something?!?

Yes Brian, you are missing the fact that I paid $200 just to sell a part!! Had I listed them here I could have saved all the fees and had more money in my pocket. However, I would not have sold them for the price I got for them as I would never have asked that much for them here!

Another however, I could also take them to the Nats, put them on my table and get the same $$ as I received on eBay, only with no shipping, no fees, and be part of them problem this tread is all about!!

My agreeing with you is simply this... I would have settled for just what I paid for them if only one person bid on them, as that is all I had into them, and that was my reserve. I let the eBay community name their own price as I am not well versed in the pricing of 69 Cuda stuff, although I was sure they were worth the price I paid.

Should I not make as much profit as I did??? Did I gouge someone over the price?? I did neither, but i did pay for the pleasure of selling them for what they were worth to the buyer!!

Make any sense to anyone but me???......

Makes sense to me.i dont care for people dragging someone through the mud just to make themselves look better.most dont realize that when parts are too cheap to pay for someone to pull them they go for scrap.

-
Back