Rant - recieving parts

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Why is it that whenever I buy a piece of trim, or emblems, or anything for that matter, I never recieve the mounting hardware as well? When I buy a certain item, I need it to come with everything, including the hard to find clips, screws, bolts, nuts, etc. I understand if maybe the screws are rusted or the part has been laying around for a while and the nuts are now gone, but c'mon, that can't be the case for every part I buy. Is it that people are holding onto this hardware for themselves? I now have a bunch of parts laying around because I don't have the hardware to mount it.

Do you request the hardware before buying the part? Usually I try to save the small parts, but i have also been guilty of parting a car and tossing all the small screws and clips into a bucket, then forget later whats its all for.

Its half and half with requesting it. But to me it seems it should be common sense to recieve the hardware with the bought part, especially when the part is mounted on the car in the picture. Like I said, if the part is just something laying around, and pictures show it without hardware, understood.

i always try to include the fasteners with the parts i sell if i have them. even if they dont need them. motor mount bolts with the mounts etc etc.....

Example - I recently bought a V8 gas pedal for my 65 Valiant. I had been searching over a year for one. As you Early A body guys know, a V8 pedal and /6 pedal are different. The car being parted was a 65 273 Barracuda. I specifically asked for the gas pedal with hardware, ie, whichever hardware mounts it to the smooth rod that is my throttle hardware. The pedal was still in the car, which told me the hardware on the back of the pedal was still there. So I paid for it, received it weeks later, and turns out I only recieved the rubber pedal. There are screw holes on the back where something must have been mounted, but was removed. Why didn't I get those parts? No explanation from the seller either. Now I have a $100 piece of rubber which is useless to me.

With some deals you have to clarify it in writing as to what is included with the sale. Then hold the seller nose to the grindstone it they don't come with the part. I have found this really important in disc brake change overs.

I know I typically try to put in the ad if the mounting hardware is avail or not.. I can understand your frustrations though.

For some trim items and such for fasteners check
R/T specialties on line. They have a great assortment.

-RPM

Example - I recently bought a V8 gas pedal for my 65 Valiant. I had been searching over a year for one. As you Early A body guys know, a V8 pedal and /6 pedal are different. The car being parted was a 65 273 Barracuda. I specifically asked for the gas pedal with hardware, ie, whichever hardware mounts it to the smooth rod that is my throttle hardware. The pedal was still in the car, which told me the hardware on the back of the pedal was still there. So I paid for it, received it weeks later, and turns out I only recieved the rubber pedal. There are screw holes on the back where something must have been mounted, but was removed. Why didn't I get those parts? No explanation from the seller either. Now I have a $100 piece of rubber which is useless to me.

The only hardware in the pedal is the lower hinge and a flat piece of plastic where the metal rods meets the pedal, below is one i recently sold, does yours look like this? Nothing actually "screws" into the rubber pedal.

Attachments

• DSC06827.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 151
I find that I usually receive what I order when dealing with parts suppliers. If there is something missing, it usually because I did not order it, or I didn't order it correctly.
My 2¢

Sorry, this wasn't about parts suppliers, it's about individuals selling parts on their own.

Keith, it's similar to that pictured, except missing the hinge and plastic.

Sorry, this wasn't about parts suppliers, it's about individuals selling parts on their own.

Keith, it's similar to that pictured, except missing the hinge and plastic.

That really sucks that the hinge is missing, its a vital part, I have never seen just the hinge seperate either, hard to find.

that does suck sorry you are having all the troubles

Note that the above perfectly good sentence is missing all the punctuation parts? :)

Sorry, I had to.

I still have a V8 pedal for an early A that is missing the white plastic but has a nice hinge. Sorry to hear the one you bought is a paper weight.

-
Back