Raptor Liner in Trunk

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Have any of you used body-colored tinted (or black) raptor liner on the trunk floor of your A-body (or maybe inner quarters in lieu of undercoating)?? I'm thinking it may be a decent alternative to traditional 2k paint and maybe more durable. Thoughts?

Be carefully so as to not block any body drain holes

I prefer good coat of 2k Epoxy Primer, maybe two coats depending on paint brand, with a 2K color coat over top. That will provide excellent protection of the metal.

I don’t like that stuff in the trunk. To ruff, and hard to remove.

just use quality catalyzed paint on the metal, great protection,

This is my 1969 Dodge Polara that we did with tinted to match the exterior paint, then spatter paint over that (C-Bodies used spatter).
Although the floor didn't have sound deadener we chose to as this is a convertible and the floor wasn't perfect.
IMG_9719.JPG

Alan

Thanks guys. I'm not too concerned with originality, removal, or anything as the 66 Dart I'm building is just a street/strip hotrod. It's going to have a fuel cell and battery back there anyway. I'm just kinda brainstorming how to finish the trunk area and saw some stuff online about Raptor liner. It looks like pretty good/durable stuff. Hell, I may use it to to finish the rear floor pan/firewall area where the carpet doesn't reach since there won't be a rear seat.

1670132812649.png

This is my 1969 Dodge Polara that we did with tinted to match the exterior paint, then spatter paint over that (C-Bodies used spatter).
Although the floor didn't have sound deadener we chose to as this is a convertible and the floor wasn't perfect.
View attachment 1716018201

Alan
That looks really good. How'd you choose to apply it and what were your thoughts on the product itself? Also, how much did you end up using?

Thanks guys. I'm not too concerned with originality, removal, or anything as the 66 Dart I'm building is just a street/strip hotrod. It's going to have a fuel cell and battery back there anyway. I'm just kinda brainstorming how to finish the trunk area and saw some stuff online about Raptor liner. It looks like pretty good/durable stuff. Hell, I may use it to to finish the rear floor pan/firewall area where the carpet doesn't reach since there won't be a rear seat.

View attachment 1716018207

That looks really good. How'd you choose to apply it and what were your thoughts on the product itself? Also, how much did you end up using?
I didn't do it, my body & paint guy did it, pretty sure it was through an air gun, it was done quicker than I thought and missed him doing it, went out to check on him and it was done.

Alan

The problem I ran into with liner on a unibody car is repairing them if it ever gets into a collision. Think about the mess you will have trying to repair or replacing panels. I have been there and the labor was extensive removing the liner material to weld in new replacement parts. When used on a truck bed you replace the bed and your done.

Last edited:
You have the trunk floor nice and clean so just put some 2 part paint with hardener Amd it will look nice.

are you going to be hauling gravel and scrap metal? That’s what that bedliner stuff it for, and it is a great thing in a pickup truck, but not a car.

also that textured bed liner crap looks like something is being hidden underneath it, like a pitted up trunk floor with pinholes.

I've never used the raptor product but i will be putting it in the trunk on the inner quarter panels instead of the factory undercoating, i will also use it under the front fenders for rock protection, i will tint it to the body color. This will be a driver type of car not a 100% correct resto, if i was going that route i would use Resto Ricks undercoating. I think it has its benefits when applies to certain area instead of factory undercoating but i wouldnt do the whole trunk area, i prefer a quality 2k epoxy and paint for that area but to each his own, your car so have some fun, good luck with your car....Rich

I did the trunk of my swinger with it and it turned out great. I have since done the bottom side and trunk of my friends 67 barracuda but instead I thinned it (I think 10%) and it lays out really flat with only a slight texture. Check the tech sheet, I think you can thin up to 20%. I wont spray it any other way, it looks so much better. Green is my swinger and black is the barracuda. Forgot to add, Epoxy primer was sprayed first. Im pretty sure the raptor is not DTM so you will need some sort of primer or existing base coat.

20170604_140401.jpg

20201107_212505.jpg

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

I did the trunk of my swinger with it and it turned out great. I have since done the bottom side and trunk of my friends 67 barracuda but instead I thinned it (I think 10%) and it lays out really flat with only a slight texture. Check the tech sheet, I think you can thin up to 20%. I wont spray it any other way, it looks so much better. Green is my swinger and black is the barracuda. Forgot to add, Epoxy primer was sprayed first. Im pretty sure the raptor is not DTM so you will need some sort of primer or existing base coat.

View attachment 1716018331

View attachment 1716018332

That looks great! Did you use an HVLP? If so, what size fluid tip?

I wish I had the forethought to spray some on the underside of my 66 when it was apart. Have you ever tried painting over it? I says it can be top coated with any modern paint system, but also recommends scuffing. How the hell are you supposed to scuff that stuff?

The green was sprayed with a shutz gun that came with the kit. The black I shot through a harbor freight HVLP gun.

Only down side to doing that to the truck floor is IF you ever want to sell it. Everyone will always question what is under it!! I love undercoated floors bottom side BUT so many wan their cars painted under.
Everyone always says I WILL NEVER SELL!

Only down side to doing that to the truck floor is IF you ever want to sell it. Everyone will always question what is under it!! I love undercoated floors bottom side BUT so many wan their cars painted under.
Everyone always says I WILL NEVER SELL!
Pictures

Alan

I have hundreds of pics of my car during the restoration to prove whats under the paint.

-
Back