Rare M Code 'cuda (?)

-
Sorry the term 'Cuda from Chrysler first arrived in 70. And only to Vcode 440-6. J code 426 hemi. And AAR 340. That's why the word "Barracuda" is badged on 69s and older. I have a 70 vcode. All badging is 'Cuda. (Although they did make Barracudas as well in 70.) The term got thrown around more 72-74.
I know this is nick picking stuff. But in the Purist sence? 'Cuda started in 70.
So on your 70 dash pad it says cuda and not Barracuda?

It’s like saying your 70 Duster is a valiant so 71 is really the first year for Duster or your 64 GTO is a lemans and 65 was the fist year for the GTO and so on. 69 is the first year for Cuda.

In 1969 you could get a 340, 383 or even a 440 with 'Cuda Package it was not just a M Code thing. You had to check off a Special " A56, A57 or A13 Code " on the order slip which was clearly marked "'Cuda Package"
View attachment 1715346466

Just a question in the middle of this knowledge competition,

You buy a 1970 car - you can order it in and pick it up in 1969.
Same with a 1969 vehicle, able to order and pick up a 1969 vehicle as early as 1968. Correct?

.. They don't belong on the "Forabodiesonly.com" site.

This is insulting. Sure there are other sites. THIS site has over 50,000 people. That is a lot of wisdom consolidated in one spot to ask questions, and learn from. It's not all about showing off in your specific vehicle make or rarity.

I get hundreds of times the experience and expertise coming here for my road runners and aspens.
Please readjust your 'corvette-elitism' attitude prejudice or just read the posts. I don't pay for this site to put up with that mentality.

Weird time warp here. I was just googling something and this old FABO thread came up, from before I'd even discovered FABO. I realize that BB Dave passed away unexpectedly last year, which also makes this thread somewhat melancholy as well.

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. But in case anyone is still interested, yes the car still exists. It's my car, that I bought from my brother in 1973. That first pic in the thread was indeed at Car Craft Nats. Must've been '80 or '81. The girl is pretty hot. It did indeed have the white wig (lol) vinyl top from the factory. Chrysler called it the 'Slickback' vinyl roof option. I've read that they only installed it on something like 600 cars altogether in '69. As far as I know it is the only M-Code 'Cuda with that vinyl top. I believe it might be the only one with some other options, such as functional hood scoops, factory hood pins, even a vinyl cover for the jack in the trunk!

The car is currently undergoing a cosmetic restoration that I started a little over a year ago. Sadly, I did have to remove the vinyl top, because there were a couple rust through spots underneath. I made sure to have the correct replacement vinyl in hand (color is pearl white) from Legendary before I peeled off the original one, so the good news is it will look like it did when new.....presumably. When I get it done, that is. My goal is to get all paint work done before the end of this summer season, assemble over the winter, and have it on the road by 2020. At least that's the plan. Sure wish I could make it to Carlisle this summer, but it just ain't in the cards.

View attachment 1715346015

View attachment 1715346016

@69 M-CODE CUDA
Tried to pm you but it says full. Can you pm me I would like to ask you something about your car.
Thanks.
MAPS

@69 M-CODE CUDA
Tried to pm you but it says full. Can you pm me I would like to ask you something about your car.
Thanks.
MAPS

hi M-Code Cuda...

i've seen the original picture of your car around the internet for years. it is actually posted a lot of places. i've had a copy of this pic for years now.

i own a M-Code fastback that i am currently working on. you mentioned that your car has several "unique" options like functional hood scoops and hood pins. i have never seen or heard of a 69 M Cuda with functional hood scoops. could you post a picture of those? and it is my understanding that the mopar hood pins did not come out until the new and redesigned E-body Cudas for the 1970 model year. as to the hood scoops, i have a set of original OEM scoops for the M car (the same ones also used on the A56 and A57 "Cuda" package) but i would never cut them up. i'm going to buy a set of reproduction scoops and modify those as functional. i would be interested in seeing how the scoops on your car are designed under the hood.

the "slick" back top option was indeed, "very rare". there have been a few fastbacks advertised with this option but the ones i've seen were black not white. you might have the only white "slick back" Barracuda out there.

you have a very nice car. it will be great to see it when it's done.

7B9D48C7-180F-49FE-B319-2FEFB403749D.jpeg
hi M-Code Cuda...

i've seen the original picture of your car around the internet for years. it is actually posted a lot of places. i've had a copy of this pic for years now.

i own a M-Code fastback that i am currently working on. you mentioned that your car has several "unique" options like functional hood scoops and hood pins. i have never seen or heard of a 69 M Cuda with functional hood scoops. could you post a picture of those? and it is my understanding that the mopar hood pins did not come out until the new and redesigned E-body Cudas for the 1970 model year. as to the hood scoops, i have a set of original OEM scoops for the M car (the same ones also used on the A56 and A57 "Cuda" package) but i would never cut them up. i'm going to buy a set of reproduction scoops and modify those as functional. i would be interested in seeing how the scoops on your car are designed under the hood.

the "slick" back top option was indeed, "very rare". there have been a few fastbacks advertised with this option but the ones i've seen were black not white. you might have the only white "slick back" Barracuda out there.

you have a very nice car. it will be great to see it when it's done.

Jim,
I seem to recall seeing a pic of another red 69 fastback with a white top, but it’s the only one I’ve seen. It wasn't the 'Cuda package though. The actual color of my top is Pearl White, it's not pure white. There are tiny flecks of gold in the material. I lucked out because Legendary had just announced adding the Pearl White color to their selection right when I needed it, so I was able to buy a large piece from them.
As far as the hood scoops, to the best of my knowledge, I believe they were 'opened up' either by Chrysler or Hurst when they stuffed these motors in. The original inside metal 'ducts' where really crude, so I had my brother fab a new set from galvanized sheet metal back in the late 70's. I recently painted these red when doing the latest restoration. I sure wish I still had the original parts but they are long gone. One thing to note is that these were a 'one-off' part, I believe, in that the rectangular holes in my hood are slightly different from one another, so it would seem that someone just made them 'close enough'. I also believe the hood pins were added at the same time as the modified scoops, whoever did that. I'm the third owner, having bought it from my brother in '73. Neither of us did these mod's, and I kind of doubt the original owner would have started out cutting holes in the hood of his new car, but I really don't know the history of that person.
50CB6426-BDCE-4039-B0FC-D3FA64D1341F.png
50CB6426-BDCE-4039-B0FC-D3FA64D1341F.png
6.jpg
79.jpg
81.jpg
171.JPG
77.jpg

Fantastic car , love the white top. Did you have that car at the car craft magazine street machine nationals in Indy around 79 or 80 I think I might have a picture of it in an old photo album !

Fantastic car , love the white top. Did you have that car at the car craft magazine street machine nationals in Indy around 79 or 80 I think I might have a picture of it in an old photo album !

You bet, we went in 1980 with a brand new paint job. At that meet I learned about the rarity of this car. Drove the brickyard, etc. That Indy meet was awesome!!

You bet, we went in 1980 with a brand new paint job. At that meet I learned about the rarity of this car. Drove the brickyard, etc. That Indy meet was awesome!!
I do have pics of your cuda from 1980 and in 1982? In Illinois you were parked beside me! If you are interested I could send the pics to you just pm me your address

-
Back