Rasp Burr Finish Experiment (Porting)

-
Interesting...what's the general consensus on How Much the Gains would be ? You think its worth removing an old Holley Strip Dom, and grabbing new gaskets?
I’ve researched and am still finding threads/posts going back to about 2010 or so regarding “burr finish” I want to say I’ve seen posts/comments even older than that maybe as early as 2003? where the term “textured” is used. Speed-Talk shows up quite often, along with countless others and from what I’ve garnered is that it does make a noticeable difference in throttle response, times slips at the track, and with jetting. As to HP/torque gains that, again based on the myriad of comments out there, ultimately depends on each combo. Seems it’s agreed that any gains won’t show on the flow bench.

I can tell you the time it takes to do what I’ve done vs using sanding rolls to polish to say a 60 grit finish, polished etc is much less.

I’ve mentioned earlier in this thread my reasons for trying a different approach to attaining a similar result. It was simply that I didn’t want to source a pricey burr, try to bend it just so etc. Like mentioned by RRR, whatever gets the job done.

Having the manifold clamped/held down is a must to be able to bear down on the burrs, really get them digging into the material to get the troughs and sharp/rough texture.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've not read anything on this finish so totally in the dark about it. Would this possibly even help on a dual plane intake even though you can't reach everywhere?

Last edited:
It all started innocently enough, read the 2 page thread -- right? Then there are links to another thread, with links to Speed Talk, and from there lab papers and YouTube videos... What I find interesting is that the burr finish is yet another method of imparting texture to intake port walls. About 20 years ago -- having never heard of the burr finish -- I started devising a method of my own that I eventually called Powre Lynz. This requires a special tool that carves what look like screw threads into the ports. The 71 page ST thread especially intrigued me as some of the best experts in the business confirmed my theories on the influence of a textured boundary layer. The ST thread is dated 2014, while I had already done Powre Lynz development work and wrote about my results in 2011. One of the contributors on that thread was David Vizard, and I know he read my book in 2011 as I sent him a copy for review. He called me up and told me how at his age with his experience, it's rare he learns much new stuff, but was learning quite a bit from my book.

Thank you so much for the post. I have no idea how this concept eluded me for so long.
powrelynztool2.jpg

powrelynz1.jpg

Amazon product ASIN 1534919570

-
Back