ratchet shifter

-

Jon Melhuish

74Duster
Reaction score
I am building a 340 Duster "Sunday driver" .... it has a 727 tranny in it with a B & M ratchet shifter. I have never driven with one before....my question.... is this just for racing or is it OK for the street and occasional bursts.

There is nothing to prevent your use of a ratchet shifter on the street. In fact I love it! The only thing that I can think of to consider on a fair weather daily driver is the relative inconvenience of, for instance going from drive back to park- ratchet,ratchet,ratchet. If you use your vehicle in inclement weather, it can hinder your ability to rock the car out of slippery situations- ratchet, ratchet, reverse; ratchet, ratchet, drive; etc.

B&M makes a shifter called the Star Shifter, i have one in my 64 dart, that works like a normal gated shifter, then you lift the latch and pull it down past first gear and it goes into ratchet mode, the only drawback is it ratchets only forward, can't downshift in that mode. other than that its a lot of fun, especially for those impromptu horsepower challenges.

I have a Hurst Promatic shifter in my dart and it's fine for everyday driving. It's a little tricky at first, but once you get used to it, it just seems normal. It keeps the uninitiated from driving your car, because you don't just push a button, and pull it out of park.

I have a B&M Quicksilver in my Cuda and love it. I don't race much but it sure is nice when I do. And unlike other shifters once you have it in drive it easily goes right back up into reverse if you'd need to rock it to get unstuck. Just lift up to move it from drive into reverse or all the way to park. Ratchet's up and down too.

well im getting my 904TF parts thru SRM and they said they will not warenty anything if u use B&M shifters... also now part of hurst! they were having to keep rebuilding trannys for people with these shifters cuz they learned that the gates are not right for a mopar tranny, causing them to burn up!

just my .02

well im getting my 904TF parts thru SRM and they said they will not warenty anything if u use B&M shifters... also now part of hurst! they were having to keep rebuilding trannys for people with these shifters cuz they learned that the gates are not right for a mopar tranny, causing them to burn up!

just my .02

Hummm... That's odd because I checked mine real close and the gates are exactly right on. I've done a couple others also and never had a problem and that's something I check real close because if it isn't right can damage the trans.

BTW: Who's SRM? I tried to google them and had no luck. Not saying anything bad about SRM but did you check with any other reputable trans shop like Andrews Racing? They are supporters this board.

Hummm... That's odd because I checked mine real close and the gates are exactly right on. I've done a couple others also and never had a problem and that's something I check real close because if it isn't right can damage the trans.

BTW: Who's SRM? I tried to google them and had no luck. Not saying anything bad about SRM but did you check with any other reputable trans shop like Andrews Racing? They are supporters this board.

it mite have been about a model of B&M but i dn't remember... grr. there in all the mopar mags. heres the site.
http://www.smrtrans.com/

it mite have been about a model of B&M but i dn't remember... grr. there in all the mopar mags. heres the site.
http://www.smrtrans.com/

That might be the case. Or maybe they had a bad run somewhere along the lines and made SMR gun shy of all of them.

I see now it's SMR you are referring too which I am familiar with and know their reputation is good. You said SRM earlier and that's what threw me and why it didn't come up when I tried to Google it.

That might be the case. Or maybe they had a bad run somewhere along the lines and made SMR gun shy of all of them.

I see now it's SMR you are referring too which I am familiar with and know their reputation is good. You said SRM earlier and that's what threw me and why it didn't come up when I tried to Google it.

oops on the typo... sry! but yea i have heard goo about them!

-
Back