Rattle sound from passenger side valvetrain..

-

Shane

Reaction score
Hey all!

I am starting to look into a strange sound I am hearing out of the top of the passenger side head... I noticed it nearing the end of the season last year, and I have left it be while stored over the winter..

Now is the time I need to look into/repair this.

I pulled the valve cover and everything seems normal, do I need to sping the motor and chekc the rockers while each cylinder is on top dead center?

Can I pull the lifters with just the valve cover off? and inspect them?

Thanks for any tips!, I could get a video of the sound, if that is needed

thanks,

Shane!

Yeah you'll have to roll the engine over and check each one to see if one or more are loose. Is it a solid or hydraulic cam? Haven't tried it myself but I've heard you can use a long magnetic pick up tool to pull the lifters.

Its a hydraulic cam an dlifters...

I read after i pulled the valve cover and everything seemed ok that I should spin the motor over and check each pair of lifters. (intake and exhaust)

If the weather is good Tuesday I will , and see what i find..

I pulled the rocker shaft off, there was no un-usual wear, the pushrods did not seem bent, I pushed down on each pushrod and didnt feel any movement in the lifter.. I took a video of the noise, but I am not sure how to post it to the message here...

I pulled the rocker shaft off, there was no un-usual wear, the pushrods did not seem bent, I pushed down on each pushrod and didnt feel any movement in the lifter.. I took a video of the noise, but I am not sure how to post it to the message here...
I,ve had luck loading vids to you-tube,then copy/paste here.It takes abit of time,but works.Good luck.

Did you roll the engine over by hand first to see if their were any loose pushrods? That should have been your first step. Removing the rocker shafts and inspecting things is good but with them removed you have no way of telling if something is loose. If anything, the likelihood of a rocker arm or pushrod being the problem is less than a lifter/cam so just pulling the rocker shafts and pushrods doesn't always tell you a lot.

When you say rattle, be more descriptive. Is it more like a clicking sound? What cam are you running?

Its more then just a clicking, its a rattle...I just posted it on youtube, I am waiting for it to load, and I will post the link here.

The little bit of smoke you see in the video is just some oil I dripped, burning off the header

Blown header gasket??? Sounds real loud on the pass side compared to the drivers side.

You be surprised how it sounds like a knock

Try tightening the header bolts, if the sound changes pitch its NOT the valve train but the header gasket leaking

I placed a wet towel on the header flange to see if the noise changes tone, if so bad gasket or leaky headers

well I kept pulling parts off yesterday and found what I believe was the cause of my noise..

I am not sure what would cause that wear spot? Bad ring??

I will wrestle the motor out this weekend...

The good news is! I get to pick out a new cam, and get the heads done while its out...

I think I will start a new thread on what parts to buy for the rebuild...

Attachments

• IMG-20120315-00183.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 92
-
Back