RCI Fuel Cell

-

odie601

Reaction score
Just received my new RCI 22-gallon fuel cell, #2200AS. I have found sites on the web that they have had problems with welds cracking. I want to run a 45-degree fuel filler and exit to existing fuel door in the driver's side quarter. I was wondering if any one has had experience with RCI fuel cells? This is my first fuel cell so any information would be greatly appreciated. :brave:

Is the weld cracking issue at the mounting tabs or along the welded seams. Pretty much discovered over time that the small attachment area of the tabs is not enough to hold the weight of X amount of gas sloshing around in the cell and they eventually break loose. Most custom tanks now offer full lenght mounting strips around the tank. If its seams letting go that's a issue new to me.

I just completed installing my cell below the trunk floor in my Duster using a 45 degree fuel filler neck. In my case a 30 degree angle filler - don't exist- would have been perfect to line up to the existing gas cap in the quarter panel. After a heck of a lot of research found some large diameter petroleum rated hose that was flexible enough to make the bend from McMaster-Carr.

Did you use a RCI filler neck or a Jaz? The Jaz has a larger diameter opening. I have also been looking for hose that would handle the fuel, thanks for the heads up. What are using for the fuel lines? :brave:

Went with Jaz as I wanted a self closing fill valve just in case things got out of hand on the road course. Got a screaming deal on ebay for a 2.5" but that required accommodating a two way bend in a short section of large petroleum rated hose, which are usually extremely stiff, and then necking up the fill pipe from 2" ID at the quarter panel to 2.5"ID at the cell. I have pics on my camera but the wife has it on a family visit right now. I ran a new replacement 3/8" metal fuel line from the engine back to the rear axle area and will connect the cell to that line with some braided hose.

Was the Jaz filler the same bolt configuration as the RCI? Or did you have to re-drill the mounting holes? :brave:

Same, slid right in and bolted up no problem. Although the neck ended up being slightly off, like 5-10 degrees from pointing directly at the fuel cap or in other words angled more towards the front of the car instead of directly at the quarter. That's why I needed a flex hose because it had to turn down 15 and back 5-10 at the same spot.

-
Back