re-chroming plastic chrome strip on door panels?

-

72Dodge

Reaction score
Anyone know a way to "re-chrome" the chrome strips on interior door panels that always delaminates themselves? See my example below, where I just have a little bit of the chrome left at the back, and the rest is the white plastic.

I know about the chrome-like spray paint, wondering if anyone had another way. Or if anyone has used the spray paint, how did it work out? Pictures?

I don't need it to be 100% as factory, but I would expect any solution to be nice, I consider myself to be fairly picky. I also have a strange fetish of sorts for nice door panels for some reason, so wouldn't want them to look mottled or anything.

Thanks!

i'll tell ya, i've got a 72 also with the same problem. i peeled all the coating off the chrome strips and ran some 1/8 inch chrome mylar in it's place. looks good as new and sure beats paying 4 to 600 bucks for new panels. later, dave.

Chrome mylar, eh? I just did a google search for it, and didn't really turn up anything. Any chance you remember where you got it? Or did you have to order it from somewhere? If you happen to have any pics, I'd love to see what you did.

Thanks for the tip!

jus go to any of the chinese parts store ( as in autozone or advance lol) and look in the bling section. it comes in rolls and get it from 1/8 to 3/4 in wide. probably wider. dave.

i'll tell ya, i've got a 72 also with the same problem. i peeled all the coating off the chrome strips and ran some 1/8 inch chrome mylar in it's place. looks good as new and sure beats paying 4 to 600 bucks for new panels. later, dave.

:worthles:

i'll go out tomorrow and get some pictures. if i can figure out how to get it on this thread. lol. dave.

If you can't figure it out, PM me for my email address, you can email them to me and I can post them for you. Basically, just get a photobucket or imageshack account, then paste the "forum" link to the picture here and the photo will show.

i downloaded a resizer and it seems to work. i'll get a pic tomorrow and give it a go. if it does'nt work, i'll e-mail ya. dave.

I've used aluminum tape from Lowe's. Apply is like a decal except use a burnishing pen/pencil to get it to conform to the underlying plastic. Carefully trim with a utility blade. It may not be a shiny as mylar, but IMO it's more durable. Besides, it was what I had at the time that would do the job.

here's a couple of pics. real cloudy out, so not the best of pictures. this is with 1/8 mylar, but you probably could use 1/4. dave.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 313
  • 004.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 301
Hey, that looks real good, definitely worth doing. I'll check it out. Finally there's hope for those panels to look nice! Another small winter project to add to the list :)

Thanks for the pics, appreciate it!

-
Back