Re-placement crank for 340

-

Grampas Toy

Reaction score
might help someone; The"318-3" part#2668810 though discontinued, is stronger then the forged 340 crank! These cranks were refered to as 318 truck crank, found in the late 60s early 70s 1 ton dual wheel dodge trucks.Happen to have one,found another one but the salvage yard said i`d have to take engine out myself,guess they did`nt really want to sell it,,being it was down in the boonies!! Also was told this crank was used in marine applications.....hope this helps someone!!!

You used to be able to pick them up easily in a town with a military base and a junkyard that bought the old military stuff. A lot of the military trucks had the 318 with the the forged crank. Not so much any more. But if you know of a wrecking yard with old military trucks try searching there......

The"318-3" part#2668810 though discontinued, is stronger then the forged 340 crank!

What made it stronger?

I have one that is turned 10/10...it's from a 1969 318 that came out of a truck...PM me if your interested in buying it. It will cost a bundle to ship it..it weighs a ton. I can get pictures tonight.

Larry Atherton,(small block geru) pardon the mix-up standard 340 nodular iron,,,,318-3, forged steel... I will look it up in my book: (METALS and how to weld them:>) good question!!!
Rumblefish,, after some re-search,,, Man this can keep on going,SO MUCH INVOLVED....EXOTIC METALS SOME I have`nt heard of,i`ll by-pass those...BUUUUT,main componet is carbon, more carbon content higher tensile strenght....CAST IRON-70,000-80,000 P.S.I. NODULAR IRON-95,000 P.S.I. CAST STEEL-105,000 P.S.I. FORGED(FACTORY GRADE) 100,000-110,000...THEN YOU HAVE AFTER MARKET FORGINGS W/ MORE CARBON 4130 4147......LOOKS TO ME THEIR (TENSILE STRENGH)CLOSE TO THE SAME...DIFFERENCE MOSTLY IN PROCESSING... MY first sorce;(POPULAR HOT RODDING) december 1976 edition,MADE A BIG DEAL for nothing,,other then take up space..IF and when i ever need another crank for a 340, i would`nt be afraid to use a 273 or 318 preped right....or (scat) (eagle) (M.P.) cast steel is O.K.

This is why I put the question forth. A forged crank from MoPars part bin is justa forged crank. Aftermarket cranks will have more strength. (If made that way.)

A cast crank will hold a considerable amount of power.

-
Back