Re Wiring the Dart Question

-

friesza

The Machinist
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing all the wiring myself and was wondering what wire and where to purchase should I use...I was also thinking of maybe stepping up a gauge or two in sizes especially on the ignition side of it...is this cheaper or would I be better just buying and aftermarket harness? I have heard some of these aftermarket harness's arent that easy to do so I thought I'd do it myself...I have taken over a hundred pics of all connections etc.

I would not automatically just step up the wire size without knowing how much current is flowing in individual circuits otherwise you'll end up with a huge bundle of wiring needlessly. Some of the circuits (such as ammeter, headlights etc.) should be beefed up and/or redesigned while others are just fine if left alone or as original.

Im right in the middle of rewiring my Dart engine harnesses. It's not as bad as I thought. I found the GM56 male bulkhead connectors at NAPA for 50ceach the factory terminals aren't that hard to get out of the bulkhead connector and I am crimping AND soldering the terminals. Spools of wire aren't that much. Instead of paying extra for color coded wire I just carefully labeled everything and am finishing the harnesses off with the cloth style electrical tape. Wiring diagrams can be downloaded and printed at mymopar.com. All the engine harnesses bought ready made are over 300 and I will have less than 50 in my entire job when I am done.

-
Back