!!READ!!! IMPORTANT!!! EPA regulations affect YOU

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=46944002&posted=1#post46944002

which leads to

http://www.dragzine.com/news/how-one-proposed-new-epa-regulation-could-decimate-the-aftermarket/

A partial quote

Buried on page 321 in the document is the following: 67. Section 86.1854-12 is amended by adding paragraph (b)(5) to read as follows:

§ 86.1854-12 Prohibited acts.
(b) * * *
(5) Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become nonroad vehicles or engines; anyone modifying a certified motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine for any reason is subject to the tampering and defeat device prohibitions of paragraph (a)(3) of this section and 42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3).

Given that this document is originally outlined in its opening to deal with heavy-duty vehicles, this particular language comes as both a surprise and a shock to many enthusiasts. In early February 2016 the Internet erupted with all manner of stories regarding this proposed regulation. Some of those articles amounted to fear mongering, others discounted the proposal entirely, and some presented the facts.

We spoke with Ashley Ailsworth, an attorney for SEMA, regarding these proposed regulations to find out what the EPA is up to with concern to the automotive aftermarket, how this may impact enthusiasts, and what each enthusiast can do to help stop something that appears to have an extreme detriment to our hobby, and even our way of life.

Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines are pretty much any car or truck you can walk into the dealership and buy. Anything street legal, that came with emissions equipment would fall under this category. Engines would cover any OEM type replacement engine.

According to Ailsworth, what the language within this proposed guideline represents is a complete 180-degree shift on the EPA’s position of building a race car. If the race car to be built was originally sold as a street legal vehicle, it would fall under this rule, and the rule would make it illegal to modify that vehicle in any way that impacts its emissions profile — even if that vehicle is no longer going to be used on public roads

hasn't this been posted two or three times already?

I don't know, but we need to get and stay on this, and raise bloody hell. Anybody who does not realize the implication of this needs to step it up. As an old guy, I may not have long to worry. But the young guys could find themselves racing Pree Asses.

Up here they are already on the guys that defeated the DEF requirement for diesel light trucks. They have started pulling them over and inspecting them. If the DEF system has been tampered with, you get a warning and a certain amount of time to reinstate it or it's big fine on top of the repair bill. If not repaired correctly the truck is taken off the road.

Jack

Up here they are already on the guys that defeated the DEF requirement for diesel light trucks. They have started pulling them over and inspecting them. If the DEF system has been tampered with, you get a warning and a certain amount of time to reinstate it or it's big fine on top of the repair bill. If not repaired correctly the truck is taken off the road.

Jack
As it should be! This is why the EPA is getting involved and crawling up our butts! :burnout:

Big business rules.Everyone is to skeared to do something,so they just *****

The enviromentalist religon, does not have the same goal as those truly concerned with our
health, or the planet's. Global warming is the largest hoax ever perpetrated on the citizens of
the planet, used to target industries and economies w/the power to simply shut them down,
or regulate them out of business. Sign all the petitions you want, but the unflinching goal of
this crackpot bunch is to force you onto mass transit, and eliminate the single greatest mode
of individual freedom the world has ever known. The automobile.
I can remember when we enthusiasts and ordinary folks fended off a hideous I/M program
w/state-wide dyno testing,infrared roadside "traps",and the power to pull you over and tail-
pipe check you. AND, the authority to cite you,confiscate and tow the vehicle to the pound,
and revoke the registration until said vehicle was brought into compliance!! As with all of the
regulatory enforcement bodies, you have NO legal standing or recourse outside of that body.
That includes those of us doing the testing. When I worked at the private shop prior(over 20
years), the owner got one of the "secret shoppers" in for a rigged I/M test. He performed the
test dutifully, wheel chocks and all, but accidentally selected "not applicable" instead of "fail"
for two items that were clearly inoperative. He used the "F" function keys(I never did for
this reason),and erroneously hit the incorrect one. The vehicle failed the sniff test, so the
red flag didn't call out the mistake, oh boy!! Even tho' he showed commrade the items and
informed him they failed, it didn't show that on the test copy.He was fined,threatened with
suspension of his stations license, and the hearing was um, unbelievable. No written or re-
corded accounts of the meeting,attorney could attend but not address the compliance
officer,no appeals or legal recourse of any kind upon the decision and conclusion of hearing.
I attended as a witness, and learned early what you're dealing with.........oppression.
Oh, all vehicles must be tested as presented,even w/spark plug wires laying there,missing
components etc. You had to fail, rev the piss out if them for 3min. "just to be fair"(cat
temp),then retest...all the while knowing what was wrong!! THAT was good for the planet!!
No, it was good for political justification of the program,...MY lungs be damned!!

Jack

This brings up a whole new topic. I know guys who have deleted the DEF system. Their fuel economy went up tremendously. So they are using less fuel, equaling a smaller carbon footprint. So do you leave it alone and burn more diesel? Is it really better for the environment? I haven't changed mine, but I have thought about it. These companies are doing this because they work together. They don't give a **** about the environment, it's purely a money / control thing. Don't get me wrong, I want my grand kids to enjoy the world too, but I think there are ways to help do it that don't involve the consumer footing the entire bill.

Uh, Yes! totaly against the law to delete any smog controls on street driven cars.....AND Trucks. We want the EPA to leave our hobby alone, let us build race cars as we see fit, for track racing, but in the same post 'Delete DEF on diesel trucks". and you wonder why they dont trust us?

This brings up a whole new topic. I know guys who have deleted the DEF system. Their fuel economy went up tremendously. So they are using less fuel, equaling a smaller carbon footprint. So do you leave it alone and burn more diesel? Is it really better for the environment? I haven't changed mine, but I have thought about it. These companies are doing this because they work together. They don't give a **** about the environment, it's purely a money / control thing. Don't get me wrong, I want my grand kids to enjoy the world too, but I think there are ways to help do it that don't involve the consumer footing the entire bill.
when you live where I do, you see a huge air quality improvement over just ten years ago. Smog laws work, And I cringe when I see Pickup trucks blowing black soot out there tailpipes, In total disregard for our air quality, or laws.

I think you will find the soot is from the tuners, not the lack of DEF. I could be wrong. Those guys with tuners are setting them up like that. I have buddies with DEF delete and have never seen them smoke out like those ones you are talking about. So to me it appears tuner / performance mod is the greater problem and the EPA probably wants to stop that.

I think you will find the soot is from the tuners, not the lack of DEF. I could be wrong. Those guys with tuners are setting them up like that. I have buddies with DEF delete and have never seen them smoke out like those ones you are talking about. So to me it appears tuner / performance mod is the greater problem and the EPA probably wants to stop that.
If you delete the particulate canister, filter, you have to install a new tune, truck wont run otherwise. If the car hobbyists want the EPA to leave us alone, we need to leave the smog controls on street driven Vehicles alone. Here in CA, Smog check on diesel trucks every two years, from new. Cars have a 5 year exemption when built. then every 2 years after that.

Mopar Tim said:
If you delete the particulate canister, filter, you have to install a new tune, truck wont run otherwise.
Link??? Thx !!!

Mopar Tim said:
Here in CA, Smog check on diesel trucks every two years, from new.

???Sorry. more 'q's , fleet ? or retail ?

Mopar Tim said:
Cars have a 5 year exemption when built. then every 2 years after that.

What year is the start date ??? Thx !!!

Thing is, we are getting off track, here. This is not about removing smog equipment on LICENSED vehicles, and in states where inspection is required.

This is about FEDERAL EPA preventing conversion from on road to unlicensed off road and or race vehicles.

I say give power back to states, elect pres. and people for congress,, with honesty, common sense, that will de- power the EPA and mandate they do w hat they were intended for in the first place?????

MAYBE questions concerning the stupidity of the EPA should be a question on the debate circle for PRES> candidates!!????????????

I say give power back to states, elect pres. and people for congress,, with honesty, common sense, that will de- power the EPA and mandate they do w hat they were intended for in the first place?????

MAYBE questions concerning the stupidity of the EPA should be a question on the debate circle for PRES> candidates!!????????????

and remember, if at first you don't secede try, try again ;)

IMO the EPA has a use, we just need to get someone with common sense in there with a strong voice. Look at China, they have no EPA and they are paying the price with a ruined environment.

... we are there now in Canada,but the rules are not always enforced. We are seeing more of it.I have seen the MOT fining individuals for operating with an open element air cleaner if the vehicle originally came with a snorkel or closed element style.
If you put a 2016 crate motor in your '69 Dart it must pass 2016 emissions tests.
...maybe it's a good thing in the long run for our children and there children.

yes i'm for taking care of our environment, but anyone that follows any of the stupid c*** that EPA is sometimes involved with, and the extreme power they possess,
like I said, common sense and govn't..... oh well......

-
Back