Reading plugs

-
Like right away, but what jets did you change and what carburetor are you using? Also tell us about your combo. Get RRR in here.

Like right away, but what jets did you change and what carburetor are you using? Also tell us about your combo. Get RRR in here.
uh huh. Don't get me in on this. I've told and told and told people how to read plugs only to be argued with, cussed at, ignored everything else. Thanks, but no thanks.

Been playing with jets and rods in 600 Eddie on a 318. Heading out on road trip next week, will take a quick look Monday. Thanks everyone
Well you can always put bigger rods in it to the point where it starts to Surge at Cruise and then go one or two to a smaller Rod set. Then you can play with the step up spring to get the 'full jet' lol as soon as it can take it... just use the booklet they give you that tell you all the correct combinations of rods n jets., yellow or orange springs etc..
If you get a boggy spot at wot from low speed... the rods could be lifting too soon to expose full jet. Just follow the booklet, they make it really easy to tune them.

Idk. You went on about reading plugs.. when he didnt ask...lol..then followed that with some grumblings of being picked on for telling folks how to read plugs. I thought that was funny :D
I reckon if you say so.

dont know what u told him/them , but for someone not making a dragstrip pass and shut off, I find these posts interesting .
Either drag strip or wide open blast and immediately shut down. Oops. Here I am talking about plug reading again when I've been told that's not what this is about.

Depends on the condition of the spark plug to start with.
Can take more miles if it was darkened by trial n error rich tune, fat pump shot etc.

DUH!

It depends...

DUH!

Either drag strip or wide open blast and immediately shut down. Oops. Here I am talking about plug reading again when I've been told that's not what this is about.

like shut it down with your foot in the carburetor. don't part throttle, don't idle, shut it off while its at full tilt, secondary's open. pull plugs and read them.

DUH!

DUH!

like shut it down with your foot in the carburetor. don't part throttle, don't idle, shut it off while its at full tilt, secondary's open. pull plugs and read them.
Meh...that's a little extreme. I lift off the gas and cut the key off bout the same time and coast to a stop.

Is that on new plugs only ? Or can ya blast an old set and get a good reading?
That's how "I" read any plug anytime I want to take a reading. Opinions and methods vary, that's mine. It's worked well for me.

Meh...that's a little extreme. I lift off the gas and cut the key off bout the same time and coast to a stop.

that will tell you if your main jet is rich or lean right?
you know more about car carburetors than I, I'm speaking from experience jetting motorcycle carburetors and they are way more simple.

that will tell you if your main jet is rich or lean right?
you know more about car carburetors than I, I'm speaking from experience jetting motorcycle carburetors and they are way more simple.
Oh yeah. It'll tell you everything if you know where to look.

That's how "I" read any plug anytime I want to take a reading. Opinions and methods vary, that's mine. It's worked well for me.
Well, it seems to me, that after reading Alot of your Tech advice, and talking to you in Great Detail, more than a few times, your methods work in the Real World, for the average guy. Folks like me..

Well, it seems to me, that after reading Alot of your Tech advice, and talking to you in Great Detail, more than a few times, your methods work in the Real World, for the average guy. Folks like me..
Well, like I said, they work for me. Some people disagree with how I do things and that's cool No two people do things the same and it's all good.

Is that on new plugs only ? Or can ya blast an old set and get a good reading?

on a healthy engine, by that I mean good sealing rings and tight valve guides with good seals, a lean carb will burn through a rich fouled plug like 123. but to make it simple when you lack experience, new plugs give a neutral basis to start from. it does make it easier.

if you start to see aluminum specks on a white plug insulator, you are way lean and if the exhaust is smoky and stinks on a dark colored plug insulator, you are way rich.

yes RRR, tell us again. the voice of reason drowns out worthless chatter.

-
Back