Ready to buy an Aluminum Radiator

-

odie601

Reaction score
I am ready to buy an aluminum radiator for my 71 Demon with a 440. I would like a 26" 2-row running electric fan or fans. I also have a tubular lower radiator support and was wondering if the would affect what size of radiator I can use? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I put a big block 22" 3 core B-body radiator in my 67 cuda coupe. it was not an exact fit seems the B-body was deeper and required a little manipulating of the lower skirt on the core support. I am not sure the opening of the core support will allow full face cooling for a 26" radiator. I just looked at mine and a 22 core fits the opening almost perfectly with maybe a 1/2 of frame on either side.

I will cut the lower tubular radiator support out and re-install after the 26" radiator is in place.

when you get the radiator, be sure to check the overall height. i got one off ebay that was about 20" tall, but if you are anything over about 19" it's not gonna fit without mod work at the bottom. so $100 down the drain lol.

I am not sure the opening of the core support will allow full face cooling for a 26" radiator. I just looked at mine and a 22 core fits the opening almost perfectly with maybe a 1/2 of frame on either side.

Actually that depends on what style radiator you use. If you stay with a stock type that has top and bottom tanks your correct, the opening isn't big enough. If you go with an aftermarket type with side tanks they measure their width counting the tanks so the actual core size ends up only being about 23-23.75". I've been researching putting a bigger radiator in my 68 Cuda and it looks like the 26" wide crossflow will work fine because my core opening is approx. 23.75".

Just wondering about tank placement. Seems that the side tank (crossflow) radiators are cheaper. Does this mean they are not as good?

Smiths Radiator . Have one in my car. Far from done but looks like a good piece of equipment, 26" with 2 1.25" rows in it....There is a member here that has one in his low 10 second HEMI street car and I believe he has had no cooling issues...

Actually that depends on what style radiator you use. If you stay with a stock type that has top and bottom tanks your correct, the opening isn't big enough. If you go with an aftermarket type with side tanks they measure their width counting the tanks so the actual core size ends up only being about 23-23.75". I've been researching putting a bigger radiator in my 68 Cuda and it looks like the 26" wide crossflow will work fine because my core opening is approx. 23.75".
Don't think my car needed any major trimming to get a 26" top/bottom tank in it, when I go outside I will lift the cover & take a look....

There are several options for a stock style downflow rad.

I didn't want to cut up my 22" core support and a 3 row copper/brass unit with shroud and solid fan did the job. When I upgraded to a blower there was no room for any of that. I selected a 2 row aluminum cross flow from Summit (<$200). I'm forced to run a single pusher in front of it. The overall width with the tanks is about 27.375" - which just fits between the frame rails. You have to weld your own mounting brackets on it - but you're free to put them where wanted/needed. I think it cools better than my first setup.

summitradiator.jpg

mountingandseal.jpg

radcap.jpg

One thing you might want to look into is getting a radiator that is a multi pass unit. While I have never used one I had a neighbor in AZ that had one in his GTO. It worked well. Car did not have a/c but it did have a 500 or so hp powerplant. Even in the heat of the summer the car never got over 190*.....

One thing you might want to look into is getting a radiator that is a multi pass unit. While I have never used one I had a neighbor in AZ that had one in his GTO. It worked well. Car did not have a/c but it did have a 500 or so hp powerplant. Even in the heat of the summer the car never got over 190*.....

I've seen the double and tripple pass radiators but wondered if they really do what they say they do. Haven't seen anything written about them except in the ads and of course all ads say their stuff works great. Do you know if your neighbor had another radiator in before it to compare it to?

-
Back