Real Gasket Thermostat Housing Gasket

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just installed a Real Gasket RG-53063.
20-25 In Lb is so little I did not recognize the click in my inch pound torque wrench.

Had to clamp the extension in a vise to realize that the slight "thunk" at barely a few degrees of a turn turn was the wrench "clicking"

I thought the 1 year old gasket was the cause of my leaking but after some investigation I think that the drivers side bolt was not going in as far as it should have. I chased the threads with a bottom tap and was able to run the bolt in 1/8 to 1/4 inch more.

Another odd thing is NOT using any sealer on the silicon gasket. I put some anti-seize on the bolt threads and that's it.

I lifted the front of the dart up on ramps on my sloped driveway to get any trapped air out of the heater core and block and idled till it got to temp without the rad cap on.

No leaks, put the cap on and am letting it cool down. Ill bring it up to temp again later with the cap on to pressurize the system and HOPEFULLY it wont leak anymore.

Did the exact thing with my dart earlier this week. Use to ft/pds not in/pds. No leaks cold or under pressure. Happy with my gasket .

Use to ft/pds not in/pds.
I think I'll trade my click style inlb wrench for a dial type.

I think a big part of my problem was the drivers side bolt would tighten up at about the thickness of the housing and the passenger side would go in to about 1/2 the thickness of the housing. so I could tighten (read over tighten :rolleyes:) one side and not tighten enough the other. after chasing the drivers side threads I would have been able to tighten (read over tighten :rolleyes:) that side too. BUT assuming this gasket works Ill never know!

Took the dart out for a drive 45 min to an hour to NOT A SINGLE DROP! YEAAAAAA!

Had problems with felt gaskets leaking and tried the silicone one real gasket makes. Will never use anything else now. Works perfectly. No seeping at all. Didn't need any sealants. Didn't need to cranking down on thermostat housing bolts. Thanks to FABO and everyone who shared their advice on the topic!

Stud that mount. So much easier to run the nuts down and they wont gall up in aluminum or rust in/out in cast iron. Silicone gaskets are the shiz-nit.

Update... 6 months no leaks with real gasket

I just wish they made them for other applications, like 96 360 tstat housing.

Last edited:
Maybe make one yourself if you cant find one. I am not sure if the material that real gaskets is readily available -aircraft grade (I looked up the specs and tried to find it for sale in sheets but was unable to determine the detailed specs for all the silicone sheet materials I was able to find searching online using amazon.)

-
Back