Real-world improvement,or just cool looks?

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
I have a 73 Dart Sport 340, and I have a question for all you guys that have upgraded the factory discs to aftermarket set-ups.

How much REAL difference did it make in braking? Is it worth the money? Or, for every-day type driving, well, the way most of us drive our toys, are the factory discs good enough?

I have a set of the AR Engineering brackets, Wilwood calipers, and slotted/crossdrilled 11.75 rotors. I also have a set of factory calipers and brackets. I'm thinking of selling the aftermarket stuff and just going with the stock stuff for now.

Tell me how much better your braking TRULY is, if it was worth the money.

..many variables.
master cyl, & caliper piston size can make quite a difference
Later ('76) calipers are 2 3/4",earlier 2 5/8, '73 74 pin style e body also 2 3/4"
and i know of guys w/after market stuff that are not happy.
i have '74 E body pin style calipers on my Duster and am happy so far.

I have the same setup as yours except I'm using first gen Viper calipers with EBC red pads. BIG improvement over the stock 73-75 discs.

slotted cross drilled rotors..count the holes and area of the slots, deduct it from the total area of the rotor then compare it to the area of a stock smooth rotor...do you drive down pikes peak every day or autocross where brake fade would become an issue? Sell the hype, buy yourself something that will truly make some HP, like polished valve covers! "...So you got 12" slotted rotors and Brembo brakes on that thing..why? I can't even see them because you are running stock rims!..."

This discussion should probably include data about rolling stock to be conclusive.

slotted cross drilled rotors..count the holes and area of the slots, deduct it from the total area of the rotor then compare it to the area of a stock smooth rotor...do you drive down pikes peak every day or autocross where brake fade would become an issue? Sell the hype, buy yourself something that will truly make some HP, like polished valve covers! "...So you got 12" slotted rotors and Brembo brakes on that thing..why? I can't even see them because you are running stock rims!..."

Exactly.

Lol true, but I got it all as a package deal, and its not just the loss of surface area from the rotors I'm wondering about, and not really how it would perform on my vehicle, but real world experience going from stock to a set up similar to what I have sitting in the garage. Not too worried about numbers or theories, but the difference it made on your cars. I do understand what you are saying, tho. Polished valve covers always made a huge increase in my hp! Pishta, like you mentioned about how I drive, I kind of doubt aftermarket brakes would make that much difference because since I almost always have kids with me, my driving has calmed down dramatically.

If you say so, all I know is that there's a stupid old asian lady somewhere in Honolulu right now that is still alive to ponder her mortality because I was able to stop VERY quickly after she decided she wanted to go across the street without considering that there may be an element of danger in doing so without looking. In the same-case scenario with my stock brakes, she would have been a smear on the tarmac.
Its not the drills or slots that stop you, its the clamping force of the calipers. I'll take four pistons over one all day long!

Attachments

• 7-22-12 018_1_1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 257
If you say so, all I know is that there's a stupid old asian lady somewhere in Honolulu right now that is still alive to ponder her mortality because I was able to stop VERY quickly after she decided she wanted to go across the street without considering that there may be an element of danger in doing so without looking. In the same-case scenario with my stock brakes, she would have been a smear on the tarmac.
Its not the drills or slots that stop you, its the clamping force of the calipers. I'll take four pistons over one all day long!

Mostly a result of other improvements. Factory discs, in proper working condition, are more than adequate for a 3000 pound, A-Body.

What tires and suspension/chassis work have you done?

The wilwoods will definitely work better than the stock calipers, and the 11.75" rotors by themselves make a difference. Drilled and slotted isn't necessary, but if you've got it why not. On the street I'm not sure you'd notice the difference in calipers on a daily basis, although you'd notice in a panic stop situation when you stopped a few feet shorter.

I've upgraded my Challenger and my Duster to 11.75" rotors with the stock calipers, it makes a pretty substantial difference. On the Challenger I went from being rear-biased (stupid factory brake balance) to front biased with just the rotor upgrade.

If you're not sold on the aftermarket stuff, I'd LOVE to have a set of AR brackets and wilwood calipers. I could even work out some kind of swap (+ cash of course) for a stock set 11.75" caliper brackets if you want to run the bigger rotors with the stock calipers. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Here it was a pair of young bears and my daily driver. I missed one and touched the other(rt 519 Hunterdon county, NJ) It was bad enough with the deer!! Now I have these to contend with! I'm upgrading the disk in the Cuda as soon as I can find the parts. By the way, the one I grazed caused no damage other then the brown spot on the road and my car seat.

-
Back