real world info on how to break in new clutch

-
I've got a few years on you at 58. In the early 70's when I use to race Chey, we would run Ford top loader 4speeds. We would make "crash" boxes out of them by grinding off every other tooth on the brass blocking rings. The results were that other than the launch, I never used the clutch till I was turning onto the return road. Back then i went from 10.80's to 10.65 ish with this simple trick.

That's so cool Roy, I never had the opportunity to run a modded 4spd. I wish i'd have done it. The fastest i ever ran a manual was in the high 11's with a stock box.....And yes it was a close ratio Muncie.:D

That's so cool Roy, I never had the opportunity to run a modded 4spd. I wish i'd have done it. The fastest i ever ran a manual was in the high 11's with a stock box.....And yes it was a close ratio Muncie.:D

Well when we modded them like this they were only good for racing. When you would have to drive the car like back down the return road you had to more or less power shift 2nd. There was no more synchronize to the trans. We didn't grind them off on the the first gear blocker, just 2nd, 3rd,4th. Ah the good old days!

They were a biatch in a street machine,.. you had to "snap" shift every gear,, not nec banging the clutch,, just yankin and pushin got old really quick.. lol kids..

They were a biatch in a street machine,.. you had to "snap" shift every gear,, not nec banging the clutch,, just yankin and pushin got old really quick.. lol kids..

Your exactly right, even pushing the clutch in you have to snatch into the next gear. This is great 3 old farts reminiscing.

This is great 3 old farts reminiscing.

:D I love talking about this stuff. As much as members here despise GM/Muncie transmissions, the 2.20 close ratio, with some gear, ie...4.10/4.56+, were a great deal with a tight, high rpm power ratio. 6k shift points and rpm drops in the 4500/4750 range really worked, especially on the street. I know they weren't as strong as the Mopar, Ford, & B/W's transmissions, but i loved that close ratio. I'd love to build a high rpm 3.31 stroke engine and use a tight ratio 4 spd.....oh well.

The Muncies were great. I can tell you a story about side stepping the clutch at 6800 rpm in a Sb 65 Malibu in REVERSE! Next thing I knew, the shifter was snatched out of my hand, the trans was spit out leaving the four transmission ears bolted to the scatter shield. Drive shaft bent like pretzel. Only good thing about it is it happened so fast no one standing at the starting line really knew what happened! I couldn't blame that lame *** move on the transmission.

I got tired of puttng in new syncros, so when a mimeographed (old photocopy)copy of Mopars first manual shift auto came to the dealership,, I converted,, won more hardware..

and after the T-handle broke, and I punched out 3 button on the radio, going for 3rd, . .helped me decide... still got scars.. lol

I got tired of puttng in new syncros, so when a mimeographed (old photocopy)copy of Mopars first manual shift auto came to the dealership,, I converted,, won more hardware..

and after the T-handle broke, and I punched out 3 button on the radio, going for 3rd, . .helped me decide... still got scars.. lol

Only someone old enough will probably know what your talking about, I still have a scar on my right hand third finger when power shifting third and the Hurst handle flexed enough to cut my knuckle wide open on the under dash Pioneer super tuner. That time it was a 66 Malibu with a 396 BB. I think it was after this that I fell in love with Mr Gasket V-gate shifter.

I remember my buddy coming back from a past with bloody knuckles. I just looked at him and said third gear huh? We both just laughed!

I remember my buddy coming back from a past with bloody knuckles. I just looked at him and said third gear huh? We both just laughed!

At the time when it happens you never feel it and you continue grabbing 4th. When it's all over and your bleeding everywhere, you look at your hand and think, what the hell ?

-
Back