Really!!!! sub standard repair.

-
Is this a crack?

07F18C3B-1BE0-4695-873C-F4D3C4B18896.jpeg

could be
or could be paint lifting due what looks like corrosion at the top end that ahs been painted over

you won't know until you tap it with a ballpien hammer ot stick a screwdriver in it

not a place you would expect to see one as they usually occur where something thin and potentially bendy attaches to something that isn't like the top or base of screen pillars, where the lead loading hardens and cracks but the weld beneath is often fine. or more worryingly around a mounting bracket where it is welded to the chassis as a mounting point for something that sees considreable forces. especially if the mounting bush has been changed from rubber to something harder
idler or upper arm mounts the top mounts for shock absorbers etc

to be honest it looks like someone has been drawing with an HB pencil :)

a little hammer and screwdriver work to flex it and see

Dave

no just a mark.

that part of the chassis isn't under much load.
Without digging into it, it could be a stamping flaw. Where it is located and the age of it, I would not be too concern. If it were to creep to an edge somewhere then that's another story.

Still in the mocking up stage to see whats required, what i need to do and don't need to do.

DSCF6943.JPG

DSCF6944.JPG

the K frame is now 1/4 inch further forward and slightly lowered, the sump is notched and the rack is in what i'm sure will be its permanent resting place.

i know what you're thinking. 'the rack is too low and too far forward which'll cause severe to dangerous bump steer. also you are going to lose a lot of turning radius because the A body steering arm is quite long and steering racks have limited movement'

you are right and iv'e had a bit of a think on that.

Research suggests that a B body steering arm ball joint will fit the A body lower arm. The B body steering arm is much shorter and angled a lot lower than an A body one so it'll take care of a lot of the problems.

'they don't fit A body uprites though''

i'm ahead of you on that one, they will once iv'e finished modifying the uprites to take the B body lower ball joint/steering arms.

just need to build up a suspension unit, without the hubs and brakes, to set the geometry so i can finalize the position of the steering arms to eliminate bump steer. I'm not too fussed about Ackerman. there will be some still but it isn't as important as you think.

p.s. the rack isn't as low as the photo suggests so there isn't the risk if knocking it off at the nearest sleeping policeman.

-
Back