Rear Air Differences in Same Model Year?

-

Swingin73Dart

Reaction score
So I’m in the process of restoring my 73 V8 swinger, which appears to have factory rear air but the original toggle switch was missing from the dash and some previous owner put a cheapie plastic one in its place with a rats nest of wiring that will be removed.

But my question is, on my V8 car the rear blower motor is mounted in the center of the package tray but on my slant 6 parts car (also a 73) that I robbed the factory switch and complete wiring harness from the blower mounts in the pass. side speaker cutout and has a hose that goes to a long slim vent in the middle of the package tray. It was a working setup which is why I took it off the parts car. Were there differences in the same model year for the rear air option? And if so will the harness work with my V8 cars motor? I can post pics to help if needed. This is my first Mopar project so I’ve yet to learn any small details like this.

That is not "rear air" it's a rear defroster.........and a poor one at that. So far as I know, none of them actually added any heat, they were simply a blower

I have seen both types on various Mopars over the years, I can't see why there would be any difference in the wiring.

That is not "rear air" it's a rear defroster.........and a poor one at that. So far as I know, none of them actually added any heat, they were simply a blower

They did not add heat, actually blew cold air, did an OK job of clearing the back window, if there were only 2 or less people in the car, but did make the back of your head cold. LOL

I know, and I’m not sure why but I do think it’s a kind cool thing to have on an old car. And seeing how I have a couple different blowers and a factory switch and harness I do not posses the will power to not at least try and make it work haha.

Pictures of the middle setup?

Places like Western Auto & J.C. Whitney used to sell aftermarket 'add on' kits decades ago.

Pictures of the middle setup?

Places like Western Auto & J.C. Whitney used to sell aftermarket 'add on' kits decades ago.

D5500A19-379A-4A75-9A77-9A30098DD7AF.jpeg
B0B92D25-9DF8-46F0-9375-B2AB66C81B4A.jpeg
F79C14A0-2FAC-4946-AA8E-0EF18D3F4C3D.jpeg

Top 2 are the middle setup with and without the vent cover. Bottom is the setup off the parts car. I haven’t torn into the gold car enough to see if it might not be a factory blower in the back yet. One side appears to be an air inlet and the other an outlet by my guess

They did not add heat, actually blew cold air, did an OK job of clearing the back window, if there were only 2 or less people in the car, but did make the back of your head cold. LOL

Seems to me they blow whatever the air temp in the passenger compartment up at the window. I always give any of my rigs a good 5 minute warm up so it seems it might be able to de fog the back window ok

Top one is likely aftermarket, or possibly repurposed from a different make, looks a lot like the one in my 76 Pontiac Ventura. The other one appears to be the same as my 1970 Dart had.

Top one is likely aftermarket, or possibly repurposed from a different make, looks a lot like the one in my 76 Pontiac Ventura. The other one appears to be the same as my 1970 Dart had.

Looks like I might have to see if the package tray was cut for it then, I can salvage the sheet metal from the one in my parts car and make the setup factory again

-
Back