Rear Air Shocks and Ladder Bars

-

VegasJetta

65 Dart GT
Reaction score
Hey guys...
I need a good website or store that carries rear air shocks for the 65 Dart GT, does anyone know a good place? I can't seem to find the correct ones on Ebay.
Also, where can I get rear ladder bars, for the future 318 swap of course ;)

Thanks for the advice, GTX...
I know that its not the best way to raise the back up, but I just want a little extra clearance in the back.
What do you guys recommend for the front as far as a replacement shock that will be better than whatever is on there?

Air shocks work well if you want to destroy your upper shock mounts. You will trash your handling in the process. Leaf springs aren't that expensive, and air shocks ain't cheap. Do it right. I might have a set lying in my trash pile, I'd trade straight across for a drivers door lock/switch unit for my 03 Jetta.

As for ladder bars, wait till some mullet wearing mouth breather is beating his wife and steal them off his Camaro. Between the two you should be able to give your car that 70's look, destroy your handling, and end up with no traction. An adjustable pinion snubber will probably get you where you need to be. KYB's are valved a bit firm but make a day and night difference when installed on all four corners.

I will see what I can do for the 03 Jetta...

So what you are saying is just get some good shocks all around, and maybe some extra leafs?

No, get new HD spring assemblies, they're readily available. And new shocks. Also, larger front bars, a front sway bar and a complete suspension rebuild ought to be on your list of things to do before you install a V-8, but after you install DISK BRAKES. Actually doing both at the same time makes the most sense, along with converting to the large wheel bolt pattern, and launching the 7 1/4 rear axle.

I'm currently using my 65 as a daily commuter and my 9" drums really don't cut it in traffic. Besides driving a car with single circuit master cylinder qualifies as reckless endangerment of all those you share the road with.

I know it seems like a lot of work, but you really should make a total suspension upgrade high on your list. An A-Body can be such a nice driving car with some minor suspension work (and if your 65 is like mine your suspension is sloppy and beat, and should have been rebuilt 10 years ago). Imagine what happens when you put an Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilsteins and 17's on a Mk 4 Jetta and you get the picture.

Air shocks work well if you want to destroy your upper shock mounts. You will trash your handling in the process. Leaf springs aren't that expensive, and air shocks ain't cheap. Do it right. I might have a set lying in my trash pile, I'd trade straight across for a drivers door lock/switch unit for my 03 Jetta.

Yes, that is why I am not a big fan of them. Air shocks were a common replacement in the day (usually due to sagging rears). I always tell people I am not a big fan of them because of the upper shock mount issue but also say that if they are just used to raise the rearend of the vehicle a little without carry any additional weight in the rear area, then you could get away with it as a temp fix.

Otherwise, a nice set of rear springs (and several can be orderd with an additional inch or two of installed height) are the way to go. As for all the other mods mentioned above, they all make sense but you really need to build your car on paper (incl. timeline) and make the appropriate upgrades for where you ultimately want to be with your car.

.....you really need to build your car on paper (incl. timeline) and make the appropriate upgrades for where you ultimately want to be with your car.

Makes perfect sense to me! I want my car completely finished by yesterday so I can be driving it today! Where should I start? :blob:

:help:

Cuda 2.jpg

Cuda 3.jpg

Cuda 5.jpg

Hummmmmmmmm, me thinks headlights....LOL

Airshocks are ok for certain reasons. Load leveling, soft shock for drag racing. Not an everysay ride though. Weekend bruiser...OK

He he he, your right, who needs lights, you can allways hold a flash light. He he he he

When I had my first 71 Dart on Long Island 10 years ago, I had air shocks in the rear and it rode great...
But, I will take the advice of you guys and do it all correctly. This is no daily driver though, I have my VW's for that!

Like my dad used to say back in the '70's when he'd ride in my car with air shocks..."It rides like a lumber wagon!"

He also used to say, "Use your head for something besides a hat rack!"

But when he saw the dual quad manifold I brought home, he was almost speechless! :D

Makes perfect sense to me! I want my car completely finished by yesterday so I can be driving it today! Where should I start? :blob:

:help:

You my friend are going to have take a ride in the FABO TIME MACHINE in order to get that timeline back on schedule. :smile:

Like my dad used to say back in the '70's when he'd ride in my car with air shocks..."It rides like a lumber wagon!"

He also used to say, "Use your head for something besides a hat rack!"

But when he saw the dual quad manifold I brought home, he was almost speechless! :D

Fathers just have a way with words. Here's one of my favorites, "Son ... never EVER hit someone out of anger ... unless you are absolutely sure you can get away with it."

And my favorite (when he saw a nice looking gal walking down the street with a little something extra: "Must be jello ... 'cause jam don't shake like that."

As for bringing home new parts for my car, his response was always in the tone of Red Foreman from "That 70's Show" ... "Dumbass!"

Sometimes a father's wisdom & kind words just brings a tear to the eye. Where's my tissues? :-({|=

Actually, the dual quad manifold was a stock piece from a '56(?) Chevy and it belonged to a friend of mine.

One of the Groomsmen at my wedding used to say... "Like my dad always said, it's my thing & my bar o' soap & I can wash it as fast as I want to!"

Does that one bring a tear to the eye, or maybe just cause shortness of breath?

Now then, what were we originally talking about?

-
Back