rear axle aftermarket brake advice

-

Steven190

Reaction score
This maybe old news for some.

I have been in the process of my project doing a 69 Dart. I started with a 8 3/4 rear axle, which I found parts and started to rebuild. I cleaned and powder coated the housing and third member.

I knew that the axles for the Dart are 27 11/16" length. So I bought a set of Moser's. So I could use the stock adjustable bearings. I had problem in the past with the green bearings. The car is going to be used on the street, with some very spirited driving, sometimes.

Then I looked around for a disc brake setup of the 8 3/4 and bought one.

What I found out is these kits require axle lengths of at least 28", the disc brake kits will not fit. The caliper to bracket is the area of conflict. Most of the information about the axles and brake kits is vague at best and can be confusing.

So if you are thinking about adding a disc brake kit what is needed are axles of 28" lenght, what Moser says is a A body axle with B body brakes. The required measurement is at least 2.5" from the housing flange to axle face, mounting surface (stud side)

I know this was my fault but hope this will help someone in the future. Will save time and money

So I have a set of 27 11/16" Moser axles if someone wants

Whats the off set of those axles the length should not matter. You can have 28" axles or longer or shorter with the required off set.

By offset do you mean the measurement between the center of the housing to the flange?

That is if you want a custom axle isn't it?

I was looking for a stock axle so the measurement from the center of the housing (minus the carrier stop) to the flange is equal on both axles, being stock. With the stock A body 27 11/16" you have 2.25" from the end of the house flange to the wheel flange face. The 28" axles that measurement is 2.5"

That is what I found out the hard way. This is one of the details that is vague in the brake manufactures info. Which axle they work with or not and what distance they need to be mounted.

This is meant to inform members that may fall into this.

By offset do you mean the measurement between the center of the housing to the flange?

That is if you want a custom axle isn't it?

I was looking for a stock axle so the measurement from the center of the housing (minus the carrier stop) to the flange is equal on both axles, being stock. With the stock A body 27 11/16" you have 2.25" from the end of the house flange to the wheel flange face. The 28" axles that measurement is 2.5"

That is what I found out the hard way. This is one of the details that is vague in the brake manufactures info. Which axle they work with or not and what distance they need to be mounted.

This is meant to inform members that may fall into this.

Offset is the measurement from the housing axle flange face to the axle flange face. Yes, custom axle.

Like your Dart Marshalearp.

If you narrow the housing then the bearings will need to be moved also. The bearings are pressed on to the shaft until it comes to the relief in the axle for a stop. It would be hard to move the bearing down the shaft the 5/16" for each axle. Then it must have a spacer to do that. it needs a relief to rest against to kept it in place. If no relief the bearing could work its way back towards the old relief against the retaining plate, which may not be strong enough to keep the axle in place.

It seems to be a lot of work to keep the axles, the time and money could be a wash against the cost of a new set of axles.

Like I said before this is just for information to future users, who are wondering what to do and have questions. With all the products out and their literature it can be confusing as to what goes with what.

Offset is the measurement from the housing axle flange face to the axle flange face. Yes, custom axle.

To some axle manufactures, offset can mean the centerline of the third member to each axle flange. This is when, as you know, the third member is not in center but to one side, as when you narrow a housing. There can be some difference in length to keep the drive shaft in line. This is not the case for all housings, it depends on the application.

Others have went to trouble and expense for rear disc brakes only to find the wheels they have dont fit over the calipers. Good luck to all

To some axle manufactures, offset can mean the centerline of the third member to each axle flange. This is when, as you know, the third member is not in center but to one side, as when you narrow a housing. There can be some difference in length to keep the drive shaft in line. This is not the case for all housings, it depends on the application.

If I remember correctly when I order my axles from Moser they asked for that measurement and called it offset.

Like I said each manufacture is different. On a race car and also the Pro Street Dart we used Henry axles and they asked for the center line of pinion and called that the offset.

Most of the time it is component matching that causes trouble, which I found out.

I wanted this Dart as stock as possible, except the engine and 5 speed.

I'm not familiar with this but, if you make a pattern of the caliper bracket a 1/4 inch offset bracket could probably be made cheaper than a set of axles...If that would work...

abody you are correct,
This is what I am talking about, in the fact that all these kits really do not specify what offset that their kit fits, very well.

-
Back