Rear axle change

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm swapping from SBP axles to BBP axles in an 8 3/4 rear what all needs to be changed other than my drums.
Thanks guys

Depends if you had the axels made to work with your old sbp backing plates and brakes.Who did you buy axels from and what brakes are they for?(10x2 1/2 inch? or 10x1 3/4?)

I bought them off a member here they are moser axles not sure which brakes they are ment for honestly not even sure of which brakes I have on my current axles how do you measure from inside diameter Or???? I was gonna install them tonight I can order the drums or can I have my current drums drilled ?

This is the problem with buying something that you have no clue what the previous owner did.Axle builders will build to your specs.This is a question that should have been asked to the person that you bought these from.You may have to install the axles take a straight edge across the face of the axle flange,measure to the backing plate and compare the measurement to your drums.

You need to change the A body backing plates to a B/C/E body (or truck)backing plate and drums. You can use the 10 inch or the 11 inch.

The factory SBP axles have a different offset which is matched by the backing plate. The Moser and most aftermarkets use the B/C/E body offset.

Only redrilled A body axles would work with your stock A body backing plates. In that case you would also need redrilled A body drums because B/E/C drums will not work on A body backing plates.

By the way, the stock SBP backing plates and axles bring a pretty good price at swap meets and on Ebay so don't toss them!

You need to change the A body backing plates to a B/C/E body (or truck)backing plate. You can use the 10 inch or the 11 inch.

The factory SBP axles have a different offset which is matched by the backing plate. The Moser and most aftermarkets use the B/C/E body offset.

Only redrilled A body axles would work with your stock A body backing plates. In that case you would also need redrilled drums.

By the way, the stock SBP backing plates and axles bring a pretty good price at swap meets and on Ebay so don't toss them!

Thank you with that being said anyone know where I can find some backing plates ? Other than junk yard any parts stores carry em ?

I used 89 Dakota backing plates for my 10 x 2 1/2 inch brakes,can also get the drums which will be LBP.Good Luck.

Oh I had to break off a bracket at the bottom of the plate,then they work fine.

I used 89 Dakota backing plates for my 10 x 2 1/2 inch brakes,can also get the drums which will be LBP.Good Luck.

Oh I had to break off a bracket at the bottom of the plate,then they work fine.

Oh ok cool so do I basically get a whole rear brake set up for an 89 Dakota?
Is the hub center opening on the bbp drums larger than the sbp?

Almost any 8 3/4 brake set will work for you other than the a-body 8 3/4 stuff. As mentioned others will work also like off of a 8 1/4 rear.

10 x 2.5" 7 1/4 backing plates will work also

or, if you see a Chrysler fifth ave, diplomat or gran fury from the 80's. even an aspen or volare. those would work too. lots of options.

Post an ad in the "Cars & car parts wanted" classified section. You'll get plenty of members here who have what you're looking for & get good prices without having to go junkyard hopping. Unless that's what you want to do.

Thanks guys found a 82 diplomat at a local yard gonna go check it out tomorrow hope the rear is still in it with the plates

Oh also my rims are the type that need a shank style lugnut but I have 3 inch studs do they make a lug nut for my situation

They did make them, I don't know how hard they are to find now. I have a set of 3" studs and open ended lugs that have the collar. These were for Crager mags.

Hey guys here's a little update

So I got a set of backing plates off of a 82 diplomat stupid me forgot the e brake lever at the junkyard so I have no operating e brake at the moment going back this week to see if they are still there. Got a set of brand new 11" drums and shoes and now duster is back in business works great looks great as well moved my wheels in about an inch or so no I no longer rub( had 1 1/4 spacers to make bbp wheels fit to sbp axles got regular mag style lugs and cut tips off works well looks good now I can drive again Good little upgrade quick and easy

-
Back