Rear axle "Green" bearings

-

FISHBREATH

Reaction score
I have heard the term "Green" bearings used in recent years. What are they and how do they differ from non-"Green" bearings?

I ask because (1) I am searching for an A-body 8.75 rear end and (2) some aftermarket parts will or will not work with the "Green" bearings.

They are a fixed bearing read this description from the bag. Most people replace the old style. You will eliminate the adjustment process. But sometimes you need a shim not most times though. I think most everything should work? What is it you have in question?

Green" wheel bearing kit includes 2 non-adjustable sealed bearings, 2 retainers, 2 gaskets and 2 lock rings. Fits 8 3/4" and Mopar Dana 60 passenger car rearends.

I've never used them but aren't they straight cut roller bearings instead of the tapered bearings that come stock. The straight bearings don't take side loads (cornering). Mike

I have had the green bearings in the Duster for 3 years now.
I haven't had any problems.
Most new cars run this style bearings in the front hubs and
also rear bearings. So I think they will hold up to turning
load force.
I just put a set on a pair of axle for a friend. He's putting
them in a 69 Super Bee clone he's doing.
He was suprised how well they work for changing gears out and
the longevity of them in my car. It sees alot of street miles
and some strip use.
Use them. You wont have any problems.

Thanks for the info, guys. I am trying to remember what application had a question regarding the bearings. It might have been something to do with disc brakes.

There is 2 different styles of (green Bearings).There is one set with the oring built into it in a groove and a snap ring to stop the axle from moving out.The other tyle is the I got from mopar with the retaining plate,a thicker plate built into the bearing and with a oring.The first tyle,the snap ring is very small and if under (extreme) cornering conditions (could) wear prematurely.The mopar set is more expensive,by about 50$,but I like a bit of over kill,mrmopartech

Green bearings are a bearing made by the Green Ball Bearing Co.. They are a one piece sealed ball bearing used in place of the factory rear wheel bearing which is an open cup and cone style bearing. The sealed bearing pressed in place eliminates the need for a bearing preload adjustment/end play adjustment. The sealed green bearings are round (ball)versus the cylindrical factory bearing (cone). Because of this they are not as strong in a corner but have been used seemingly without issues on many a street car.

They also come in real handy when putting mopar axles in a Dana 60.... If you are into sway bars and lateral G forces stick with the tapered roller timken .....

I also have a question in regards to green bearings. Do they need to be greased?

I have them installed in my rear and did not grease them but I have heard of people greasing them.

I'm not sure that's possible to grease them unless you weld in a grease fitting, not a good idea, even if you could you'd end up popping the seals off or end up putting to much grease in them and they'd run hot, also bad.

Terry

-
Back